Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Help Picking Tubes

I usually buy my tubes from Nashbar. They have always had a 700X19-26 size which has been perfect. I won't buy 23mm tires again but I still have two of them. Two of my bikes have a mix of 23 and 25.

I now see that Nashbar has discontinued that size and only offers 700X18-23 and 700X25-32. I don't want to carry two spare tubes so I'm going to be forced to pick one that is either a little too small or a little too big.

What do you guys recommend? I'm guessing that the smaller one would work okay even for a 25mm tire.
    2018 Motobecane Immortal Pro
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite (mostly a retired bike now)

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you ever blown up a tube outside of the tire? Try it. They'll easily expand several inches in diameter.

Either one is perfectly fine. The smaller is slightly better as it's easier to install with it bunching up and possibly getting a pinch flat.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I use 19-23 tubes with 33mm tires. What you're thinking will be no problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Have you ever blown up a tube outside of the tire? Try it. They'll easily expand several inches in diameter.
    I did this once to see how far I could go with it. It burst at about 4 inches in diameter sending pieces of butyl rubber all over the room. It was a blast (pun intended), though I recommend ear protection.

Going a bit smaller than what is called for would surely work, but the tube will be slightly thinner and theoretically, make you slightly more prone to punctures. Just think of it as a poor man's light weight tube.

If you want to be absolutely safe, get a tube which covers the range of both sizes. Kenda has a 700x23-25mm size:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/kenda-700c-tube
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member

Either one is perfectly fine. The smaller is slightly better as it's easier to install with it bunching up and possibly getting a pinch flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I use 19-23 tubes with 33mm tires. What you're thinking will be no problem.
    Thanks, that's what I figured. I'm curious why Nashbar did this. I bought some just over a month ago and they still had the 19-26 size. I've had a rash of flats lately so I need to restock. Wouldn't it cost them more to produce the different sizes? I bought 6 of the smaller version.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I did this once to see how far I could go with it. It burst at about 4 inches in diameter sending pieces of butyl rubber all over the room. It was a blast (pun intended), though I recommend ear protection.

Going a bit smaller than what is called for would surely work, but the tube will be slightly thinner and theoretically, make you slightly more prone to punctures. Just think of it as a poor man's light weight tube.

If you want to be absolutely safe, get a tube which covers the range of both sizes. Kenda has a 700x23-25mm size:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/kenda-700c-tube
    Thanks for the feedback. The Nashbar tubes were only $3.79 so I decided to go with them.
    2002 Jamis Eclipse

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Or...you could always...wait for it...buy your tubes somewhere else.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

a real member's member
    ebay.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I recommend quality tubes, every time I buy cheap tubes I have regretted it. Continental is a good brand.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB176 View Post
    I'm curious why Nashbar did this. I bought some just over a month ago and they still had the 19-26 size. I've had a rash of flats lately so I need to restock. Wouldn't it cost them more to produce the different sizes? I bought 6 of the smaller version.
    Possibly did it so they could advertise a lighter weight for the "smaller" tube (assuming the smaller tube is actually smaller than the previous all-pupose model).

Have you given thought to actuall patching your tubes. It's a great way to save money, though it does make your tubes heavier

My choice of tubes depends heavily on whether they have a threaded stem, which I don't want because it tears up the pump washer. I have had great luck with the Michelin A1.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Have you given thought to actuall patching your tubes. It's a great way to save money, though it does make your tubes heavier
    OMG! I patch my tubes. Never thought about the weight it adds!
    I've got tubes with 4-5 patches on them.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    OMG! I patch my tubes. Never thought about the weight it adds!
    I've got tubes with 4-5 patches on them.
    OMG! You may end up like this guy here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Damn, I missed it by a day! I already placed my order yesterday.

I don't patch my tubes. For $3.79 each, I'm willing to splurge on this. I've had pretty good success with Nashbar tubes. Until this recent lot of 3 flats, I had gone a long time with no problems. I ride right through the winter as well in bad conditions.
    2002 Jamis Eclipse

RoadBikeReview Member
    Keep in mind these are have a smooth unthreaded presta valve in case that matters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Keep in mind these are have a smooth unthreaded presta valve in case that matters.
    Yes they are.

I much prefer the smooth valves as they are much easier on my pump head.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes they are.

I much prefer the smooth valves as they are much easier on my pump head.
    Interesting. I prefer the threaded ones as I am always afraid I will damage the tube if the valve isn't held still.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting. I prefer the threaded ones as I am always afraid I will damage the tube if the valve isn't held still.
    I've ruined gaskets in pumps often enough to have grown to hate threaded valves. Without the threads the pump head comes right off the valve stem with a little tug. It seems to me that it's the threaded valves that grab the pump head starting the fight to remove.

I don't have a thumb lock pump head so sliding it on and off the threaded valves abrades the gasket. I can tighten or loosen the pump head to compress the gasket to grip or release easier.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've ruined gaskets in pumps often enough to have grown to hate threaded valves. Without the threads the pump head comes right off the valve stem with a little tug. It seems to me that it's the threaded valves that grab the pump head starting the fight to remove.

I don't have a thumb lock pump head so sliding it on and off the threaded valves abrades the gasket. I can tighten or loosen the pump head to compress the gasket to grip or release easier.
    I never thought abou that, but yes, my pump head was trashed in 4 years. The tiny piece in the middle loosened and the head would not stay on without letting lots of air out when I would try to put it on. Though a new head was cheap at $3 and took less than 2 minutes to install.

But......the other pump problem I had didn't go away. While I'm pumping it appears the check valve isn't working properly. The pump sometimes "fights me" as in the air from the tire will try to push the handle up. I don't know if that's another part I can replace easily.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Possibly did it so they could advertise a lighter weight for the "smaller" tube (assuming the smaller tube is actually smaller than the previous all-pupose model). ...
    I dunno.....how many weight weenies buy Nashbar brand cheap tubes??
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Going a bit smaller than what is called for would surely work, but the tube will be slightly thinner and theoretically, make you slightly more prone to punctures.
    [/URL]
    That's a stretch......
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    That's a stretch......
    Groan!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I never thought abou that, but yes, my pump head was trashed in 4 years. The tiny piece in the middle loosened and the head would not stay on without letting lots of air out when I would try to put it on. Though a new head was cheap at $3 and took less than 2 minutes to install.

But......the other pump problem I had didn't go away. While I'm pumping it appears the check valve isn't working properly. The pump sometimes "fights me" as in the air from the tire will try to push the handle up. I don't know if that's another part I can replace easily.
    I can tell you that at least with the Silca track pumps, the needle valve unscrews from the valve horizontally and with some light lubrication you can solve the problem of the air causing the handle to eject upwards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Say what? Are you using those silly valve nuts as a way to keep the valve stem from moving back and forth? If you have the nut that tight, then you're putting plenty of stress ont the stem/tube junction. Once the pump head is clamped/slid on, there's no stress on the stem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Say what? Are you using those silly valve nuts as a way to keep the valve stem from moving back and forth? If you have the nut that tight, then you're putting plenty of stress ont the stem/tube junction. Once the pump head is clamped/slid on, there's no stress on the stem.
    Yes, I do have those "silly valve nuts", but I don't have them very tight. I just screw them on until they just touch the rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Yes, I do have those "silly valve nuts", but I don't have them very tight. I just screw them on until they just touch the rims.
    So they are serving no purpose?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast