Witty custom user title

Help with Rotor and/or SRAM crankset conversion

I have a CAAD 12 which has the BB30a bottom bracket. I'm looking at a couple of different cranksets as an upgrade but having a heck of a time finding install info to meet the BB30a standard. I found a Rotor 3d+ for sale, but the guy has it listed as a new take off from a BBRight frame (Cervelo, of course). Does anyone know what spacer combo I'd need to make this work? Is there somewhere I can buy these spacers without having to attempt to get them direct from Rotor?

I'm also looking at a SRAM Red BB30 crank - again, what spacer config would I need to work with BB30a? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know much about BB30a except that it gives way to even more confusion like you are experiencing.

But, I do know about the Rotor 3D+ you are inquiring about. The "BBright" version is what comes stock on Cervelo crankts and has a 11.5mm space built into the drive side (can't be removed without a special tool and you'd need a new lockring). With it setup like that you can run a normal BBright without any spacers. To get it to work on a PF30 that has a shell width of 68mm then you'd need to get one 11.5mm (or was it 11mm?) spacer for the non-drive side to work.

For BB30a not sure what combo will work since I don't know enough about it.

I've run an Rotor 3DF/3D+ (both BBright versions) on my SS EVO with the NDS spacer I mentioned earlier. Don't know where to buy those Rotor spacers beside directly from them though (had to so so myself a while back myself too).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Both are asymmetrical, but different variations on the BB30 idea.

BBright offsets the shell 11 mm to the NDS. The shell is thus 68 + 11 = 79 mm wide.

BB30a offsets the NDS by 5 mm. The shell is thus 68 + 5 = 73 mm wide.

Therefore a BBright specific crank used on a BB30a frame would use the same spacers (if any), on the DS, but would need an additional 6 mm spacer on the NDS.

This is the theory anyway. In practice there could be a little variance.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.