Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    How?
    I had plenty of chain with the Shimano 105 chain that came in the group, even took 3 links out. You can see in the picture it's in the 40, I don't remember if it was in the 34 or the 50. I rode it 51 miles today with no problem, never had to use the 40..B screw in backwards.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I had plenty of chain with the Shimano 105 chain that came in the group, even took 3 links out. You can see in the picture it's in the 40, I don't remember if it was in the 34 or the 50. I rode it 51 miles today with no problem, never had to use the 40..B screw in backwards.

You might have misunderstood what I was talking about. Do you somehow have enough chain so that you can go big/big and be ok?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You might have misunderstood what I was talking about. Do you somehow have enough chain so that you can go big/big and be ok?
    There appears to be a misunderstanding among many that the geometry of the derailleur is the only limiting factor. If that were the case, Walrus' remedy would work.

But the fact that we are dealing with such a range between the largest and smallest cogs means we need to pick up more chain length difference than with a smaller range cassette. This requires a longer cage, no exceptions unless you want the chain to go slack in small-small or want the chain to bind in large-large.

It's not hard. Just like the fact that you can't fit 10lbs. of s#!t in a 1lb. bag.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Out riding.
    The 10lbs of poop in a one pound bag is a good analogy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like I said it went into the 50-40 easily even after I took out two links, I took 1 more link because I had serious slack in the 34-11. It still would go into the 34-50 on the stand without the 3 links, but not easily. I'll never try the 34-40 on the road, or the 34-11. I rode it 51 miles yesterday and never needed or wanted to go into the 34-50. Everything shifted very smoothly.
    Last edited by walrus; 3 Days Ago at 10:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Like I said it went into the 50-40 easily even after I took out two links, I took 1 more link because I had serious slack in the 34-11. It still would go into the 34-50 on the stand without the 3 links, but not easily. I'll never try the 34-40 on the road, or the 34-11. I rode it 51 miles yesterday and never needed or wanted to go into the 34-50. Everything shifted very smoothly.
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider that working if I didn't have access to all of my gears. Plus you're risking pretty severe damage to your bike and a crash if things go poorly. Hard pass. Good for you if it works for you, but I hope you never find yourself deep in the red big-ringing a climb and shift one too many times when your heart rate is pegged and you're not thinking "wait, I can't shift all the way to the big cog, I'd better be careful."

Out riding.
    If you'll never try it on the road I don't understand the point of having it. If you really want a lower gear and you have some sort of issue about a medium cage derailleur then get a compact crank.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    As I expected your set up isn't correct. There is no way you can get all gear combinations w/ your derailleur.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Banned forever.....or not
    If you have a Shimano rear wheel, you'll need a new one with 11 speed.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Out riding.
    Yeah if you're going to go up to 11speed a new wheel and hub would be nescessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12