RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

help with (used) Thomson posts

i started out thinking about a ti seat post after cleaning my bike today and finding a circular crack around my carbon "guizzo" seat post on my ti javelin.

now i think i have settled on a used Thomson Aluminum.

can anyone help me figure out what the options are for these? i guess there is a "masterpiece" that is the the top of the line and then there is a "elite"? do both of these have the sort of radiused adjustment with scribe marks that i saw on the new masterpiece and which i /think/ i see on some of the used ELITE models listed on my local craigslist?

i can't figure out if this scribed adjustment is only on the masterpiece of if it is also on the newer elites or what the deal is.

also, since i have a ti bike i'd really like to get the aluminum finish and i am wondering if this is simply an option for either of these two models.

TIA for any help.

jon

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    The scribed andjustent marks are on all of my elites. Old and new. The masterpiece is just a little lighter. Same Thomson quality. I love their products.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    thanks so much.

do you happen to know if the aluminum finish is just an option on either the elite or on the masterpiece? i am looking on their site and for some reason it is confusing as to whether the aluminum finish is just on the masterpiece setback.

Thomson | Elite Seatpost Series
    Thomson | Masterpiece Seatpost Series

also, i assume the setback is one fixed angle and i want a 31.6 (mm i guess) post?

THANKS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aluminum finish as in "silver". Last I recall all models should have that option.

The setback just gives setback, while the non-setback has none. Both have adjustable angle clamps. Diameter is based off what you had before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    ok. thanks a lot for the help here.

can i just ask you if i am correct in thinking that i am measuring this diameter in mm and that in not having a caliper i am getting about 27/28 mm on my javelin?

also, is there anything good or bad about the setback thomson posts?

i had some feedback on another thread that indicated the thomson may not be the best way to go for a setback and i also had some feedback that i may want to go the carbon route for a setback.

not sure why that may be the case for either of those suggestions though.

THANKS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hotwheels22 View Post
    ok. thanks a lot for the help here.

can i just ask you if i am correct in thinking that i am measuring this diameter in mm and that in not having a caliper i am getting about 27/28 mm on my javelin?

also, is there anything good or bad about the setback thomson posts?

i had some feedback on another thread that indicated the thomson may not be the best way to go for a setback and i also had some feedback that i may want to go the carbon route for a setback.

not sure why that may be the case for either of those suggestions though.

THANKS
    Thomson's are bulletproof, whether setback or no setback. Some folks don't like the "bend" in the setback post because of appearance - there is no issue with this structurally. Other possible issue is that setback on Thomson is, if I remember correctly, 15 mm. Some people need more - other setback posts go up to 25 mm.

Regarding post diameter, it might be marked on your old post. Worth checking. Given what you're saying about caliper measurement, I'm guessing your post is 27.2. Pretty standard size.

There is no advantage to carbon over aluminum in terms of setback - you can find either in equivalent setback, often from same manufacturer.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    can i just ask you if i am correct in thinking that i am measuring this diameter in mm and that in not having a caliper i am getting about 27/28 mm on my javelin? also, is there anything good or bad about the setback thomson posts?
    You have to know the exact diameter you need to two-tenths of a millimeter. Seatposts come in 0.2 mm increments.

On the Thomson setback post (16.0 mm setback on all of them) you need to know that you can insert it into your seat tube only up to the bend. On the construction drawing, refer to the "usable length" and "unusable length" dimensions in the table and the notation on the drawing. Most people nowadays have no problem with that because they ride small or sloping-top tube frames with a lots of seatpost showing.

http://www.bikethomson.com/wp-conten...dimensions.pdf

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Just to echo what LookDave stated. There is no issue with a Thomson seatpost. They are top rated.

That "Carbon rides better" is garbage. Heck, carbon is barely if any lighter than a good alloy post and will definitely cost alot more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thomsons are all good
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    thanks a ton gents. that's settled.

also a big thanks to wim and lookdave.

i had no idea that i couldn't just eyeball this with a scale but unfortunately the marks on the post are pretty much trashed.

just one last here.

am i correct in thinking that 27.2 is a good bet based upon my eyeballing it but that it would be a good idea to bring along the actual bike if buying used...?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    am i correct in thinking that 27.2 is a good bet based upon my eyeballing it but that it would be a good idea to bring along the actual bike if buying used...?
    It's a good bet in that the Guizzo post you posted in another thread only appears to come in only two versions: 27.2 mm and 31.6 mm diameter.

http://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/pro...rbon-seatpost/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    thank wim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Let me preface this buying saying I really like Thomson seatposts and currently have one bike with one installed. I have a spare Thomson seatpost and have been debating installing it on one of my other bikes. BUT I did have an issue one time with interference between saddle and the clamps on a Thomson setback post. I don't remember which saddle it was but believe it was a Selle San Marco Aspide or a Fizik Airone Tri. I do know the setback post gave no issues with at least two other different saddles I have owned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    hi all.

a big hearty thanks for getting me situated with this purchase. and an extra special thanks to those that gave me the lowdown on the specs as well as those that simply gave a the thumbs up on the thomson.

i picked one up last night for $40. got back on my bike today and i'm really happy with the obviously solid engineering on this thing.

i'm sure i would have spent 4x the time and gotten half the value without the great input.

awesome.

Hold on I'm watching this
    Thats a great deal for 40$, especially for a masterpiece. For me the ease of adjustment is a key factor, I have Thompson Masterpieces on my bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    sorry. i meant to say that i got the Elite. seems like it is the same as the Masterpiece except for 30 grams or something from what i can tell.

anyway, totally sketchy deal. 10:30 at night at walgreens parking lot at corner of i35 and ben white. green astro van. lol.

i almost didn't go.

felt like i was buying crack...

RoadBikeReview Member
    $40 is not bad at all. Let my used Elite go for $35. Wasn't scratched up but obviously used.

I've debated getting another one for my current frame (uses a different size than the one I sold). I just have that paranoia about never finding that same fit again.