help us all

Help! What would cause a chain to catch like this? [Video]

I recently got a Trek Checkpoint w/ a Shimano 105 11-speed drivetrain. I've spent days trying to narrow down this annoying clicking sound from my rear wheel. I finally spotted the cause of the sound and grabbed a quick video.

I am pedaling backwards in the video, but the chain does something very similar when pedaling forwards. When pedaling forward, the chain catches on the bottom of cassette.

This happens when I'm in the 3rd largest rear cog and either ring in the front. The doesn't happen in any other gear combinations as far as I'm aware.

Any advice would be appreciated. Getting my bike to the LBS is difficult at the moment. I'd love to fix this at home if possible.

https://youtu.be/uvxDzC9r5i8
    2011 Cervelo r3 (sold)
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex-7
    2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR 5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Don't pedal backwards. On the back of the RD there is the cable & a barrel adj. Turn the barrel adjuster 1/4 right and left and then turn it so that it is 1/8 turn moving the RD (& chain) towards the next smaller cog.
    BANNED

Frog Whisperer
    Double check your hanger alignment
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

'brifter' is a lame word.
    If it's doing it backwards nothing will fix it. There is no derailleur to guide the chain to the proper cog at the proper angle. If it's doing it pedaling normally but only on one cog you've probably got some more wear on that cog than the others...or something weird. If it happens on all the cogs it's a derailleur adjustment.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

help us all
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    If it's doing it backwards nothing will fix it. There is no derailleur to guide the chain to the proper cog at the proper angle.
    You hit the nail on the head. This is what I am observing and afraid of.

I find it interesting that the behavior occurs no matter which front ring I'm in, but only a specific rear cog. FWIW, the bike has < 100 miles on it.
    2011 Cervelo r3 (sold)
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex-7
    2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR 5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    If it's doing it backwards nothing will fix it. There is no derailleur to guide the chain to the proper cog at the proper angle. If it's doing it pedaling normally but only on one cog you've probably got some more wear on that cog than the others...or something weird. If it happens on all the cogs it's a derailleur adjustment.
    just curious, when you say worn cog may cause the problem, why would this be ? And are you talking about worn teeth of the cog or the worn side (the side facing the lockring) or the cog? I'm asking because I have just put in a new chain on my bike recently (as you may have already know from one of my post with similar to this OP's issue), and the chain will work smoothly with an 11-25 cassette, but when I put in a used 11-28 cassette (got it on ebay), i hear more noise between chain and cassette now (in general, not just at one specific cog). So I'm now wondering if my 11-28 is too worn? It doesn't look like it to me as the teeth are not pointy sharp.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    just curious, when you say worn cog may cause the problem, why would this be ? And are you talking about worn teeth of the cog or the worn side (the side facing the lockring) or the cog? I'm asking because I have just put in a new chain on my bike recently (as you may have already know from one of my post with similar to this OP's issue), and the chain will work smoothly with an 11-25 cassette, but when I put in a used 11-28 cassette (got it on ebay), i hear more noise between chain and cassette now (in general, not just at one specific cog). So I'm now wondering if my 11-28 is too worn? It doesn't look like it to me as the teeth are not pointy sharp.
    I guess it could be either or both. More likely worn tooth profile than worn on the side of the cog I'd think. Or a slightly bent tooth. You can definitely get some noise or a not-so-smooth feeling when you put a new chain and a worn cassette together, generally it'll be worse on some cogs, not as bad on others.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards