RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015

Helped a neighbor kid

I'll be upfront in that this is a bragging thread.

Because of this crazy hobby and my desire to understand how things work I've built up a fair number of tools and, surprisingly, even a bit of knowledge in how to use them.

Saturday night a neighbor boy comes by and asks if I could help fix his Walmart Special(tm) bike. He shows me that his rear derailleur has been peeled off. I'm guessing by his brief story and the look of things that he hopped his bike onto something that pushed the derailleur into the spokes and away she went.

I proceed to break the bent chain, cut the mangled cable, and unbolt the remainder of the derailleur. I call the only bike shop still open and thankfully they have something compatible with his 7 speed system. We drive across town and $36 later we have a new derailleur, chain, cable, and section of housing. The biggest problem encountered was pulling and rethreading the cable through the Microshift grip shifter.

This kid initially feared the worst but a few hours and a few dollars later he was rolling again.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Nice work! Hopefully the kiddo helped you out and learned a little about bike maintenance himself along the way. Even if he didnít learn to fix himself, he learned that if the bike breaks, you donít need to throw it away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Way to go. I do this for the kids in my neighborhood as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    I didn't have a whole lot of opportunity to point extra things out and explain in detail as there were time constraints but he helped hold things and fetched and watched.

It was a rather nice learning experience for me as well because I've only really worked on more modern and nicer components in generally working condition. It was interesting seeing a disaster and trying to figure out what needed to be taken off and in what order. Then looking over what could be salvaged and what needed to be replaced.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Well done and good on you! My first bike (that I had purchased with my own money) was a Murray, basically a department store bike. It never shifted smoothly and I tried my best to maintain it but honestly didn't know what I was doing. I've personally heard stories from folks who say they brought their bikes into a bike shop and were immediately told the repair cost would be more than the bike is worth (also that they didn't want to waste their time on it).

I'm sure his bike functions much better now that a competent mechanic has been through it. I'm proud of you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well done Neolithic! I bet lots of on here are the "NBS" (neighborhood...). Most of my "repairs" have been flats, brakes, loose parts and derailleurs that haven't been adjusted since they left the store. You went above and beyond. Good karma's comin your way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Same thing here, I had a guy roll up with his toddler kid and asked if I could put some air in his tire, PSST...... BOOM >POP! Tube blew out. I ended up giving him a not very used tube and sorted out his shifting and braking. 30 mins all up. Haven't seen him since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JSWhaler View Post
    Way to go. I do this for the kids in my neighborhood as well.

Same here though not nearly to the extent as the OP. It's usually flat tires, chainsuck and righting crappy brakes.

The favors tend to extend to adults and their bikes, too.