Cumudgitude

High angle, threadless stem, 25.4 clamp diameter?

My girlfriend just bought a bike. This is the first in her adult life. She's encountering the same problem that a lot of tall women do: hugely long legs, shorter arms, and a proportional torso. This added up to her needing the largest frame we could find with the shortest stem in the shop! She's dead set on putting a Soma Arc bar which has a clamp diameter of 25.4. The stock bar is normal oversize. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a stem with significant positive rise, 1 1/8" steerer tube, 25.4 or 26 (I already have shims) clamp diameter, with a short extension?

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanPrimitive
    My girlfriend just bought a bike. This is the first in her adult life. She's encountering the same problem that a lot of tall women do: hugely long legs, shorter arms, and a proportional torso. This added up to her needing the largest frame we could find with the shortest stem in the shop! She's dead set on putting a Soma Arc bar which has a clamp diameter of 25.4. The stock bar is normal oversize. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a stem with significant positive rise, 1 1/8" steerer tube, 25.4 or 26 (I already have shims) clamp diameter, with a short extension?
    Not sure about just how short of an extension you're looking for, but this comes in a 90mm and the 26.0 clamp version seems to meet your other criteria:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...x?SSAID=332695

Wave, dammit!
    The stem on my avatar might be an option if you would prefer not to go the adjustable route. It's a Bontrager with a 40 degree rise:

http://bontrager.com/model/07828
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569
    The stem on my avatar might be an option if you would prefer not to go the adjustable route. It's a Bontrager with a 40 degree rise:

http://bontrager.com/model/07828
    It looks like that stem is only available with a 31.8mm bar clamp. The OP needed a 25.4 or 26 clamp diameter.

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352
    It looks like that stem is only available with a 31.8mm bar clamp. The OP needed a 25.4 or 26 clamp diameter.
    True, I forgot to add in the part about the shim

http://www.ebikestop.com/problem_sol...gth-SM5317.php
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Look for a older Mountain bike 1 1/8 threadless stem as 25.4 was the standard bar size.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Just resolved that problem @ Niagra Cycle works

Cumudgitude
    Sweet! There's a lot of win here. . . and here and here and here. Niagara Cycle Works was a great suggestion.