RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

How do I attach Cinelli Spinaci bar extensions?

I'm looking at buying a set of aero bars for my roadbike, specifically the Cinelli Spinaci. Looking at some pictures of them on ebay, the clamps only seem to open on one end. How do they attach to my existing bars? Do I have to remove my bar tape and shifters before attaching them?

RoadBikeReview Member

Answers

Each clamp is two separate pieces held together by two allen key screws. Visually it's like looking at the figure '8' on its side, sliced horizontally. In the middle of the clamp there's a very small roller. Make sure this part's included.

Assembly- The clamps fit on the bar section, 25.8-26.4mm, not the oversize butted center part of the bar. There's no need to retape/reinstall cables, etc. You will need to cut back your bar tape, at least the width of the clamp. I would just use a straight edge razor with care to do this job. The biggest issue will be your brake cables and if you have Ergo, shifter cables and how to place them around (not through) the clamp. When I used the Spinacci's, I pushed the cables down and had the clamps going straight out but you need to figure out how much extension you want.

I liked them when I used them and as usual, don't understand why the UCI outlawed them in mass start races. I don't buy the dangerous bit as plenty of riders just rest their forearms on the bar tops without anything to hold.

TTT also made a version called the Tiramisu. The bar extension ends were slight curved and looked more functional although I never used them. As for the Cinelli's, the earlier set had solid bar extensions while the later one's were drilled out. As for weight and cost, the Cinelli's are probably a good value. I'm sure there are carbon fiber extensions available that are similar in function but undoubtedly cost more.

If you need pic's of the clamps, let me know and I'll post them when I get home.

Hope this helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boneman
    Each clamp is two separate pieces held together by two allen key screws. Visually it's like looking at the figure '8' on its side, sliced horizontally. In the middle of the clamp there's a very small roller. Make sure this part's included.

Assembly- The clamps fit on the bar section, 25.8-26.4mm, not the oversize butted center part of the bar. There's no need to retape/reinstall cables, etc.
    That's exactly what I needed to know! Thank you!

If you need pic's of the clamps, let me know and I'll post them when I get home.
    No need to go to that trouble. I can figure it out from here.

Thanks a bunch!