Tourist

How do you remove 1in Chris King baseplates?

I remove fork crown races with the heavy Park tool
    Park Tool Co. CRP-1 : Universal Crown Race Puller : Frame & Fork Tools
    With 1 1/8 crown races, no problem. But with 1in Chris King plates, these must be very tight because they ALWAYS require significant pressure and bend during removal. What am I doing wrong?? (I make sure that both sides of the tool are equally tightened). How do other mechanics remove the Chris King 1inch plates?

titanium junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    I remove fork crown races with the heavy Park tool
    Park Tool Co. CRP-1 : Universal Crown Race Puller : Frame & Fork Tools
    With 1 1/8 crown races, no problem. But with 1in Chris King plates, these must be very tight because they ALWAYS require significant pressure and bend during removal. What am I doing wrong?? (I make sure that both sides of the tool are equally tightened). How do other mechanics remove the Chris King 1inch plates?
    Man if you have that nice puller Park tool, then you should be set to pull the base plate off with ease. I have removed a 1-1/8 CK base plate before by mounting the fork upside down on a vise and using a junk screw driver to knock if off carefully. Unlike a press-fit bearing, those crown races are not that tight so I would think you should be able to pull it out relatively easy with this special tool. It wouldnt hurt to pull a little bit of light oil around the race before unseating it.
    Thanks,

titanium goat

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used that tool on a 1" CK last week. Easy.

Are you saying the race is getting bent?
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    But with 1in Chris King plates, these must be very tight because they ALWAYS require significant pressure and bend during removal. What am I doing wrong??
    Odds are that the crown seat is slightly oversize making for an out of spec force fit. Most 1-1/8" seats are formed from the factory and true to spec, but many 1" (26.4) seats are part of the crown which is furnished raw oversized needing to be hollow milled to size before the race is fitted.

Next time the race is off, bring the fork to a shop that has a proper go/no-go gauge to check, and if necessary can cut it to spec.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

Tourist
    yes, the race is getting bent. All the time. I buy a lot of old bikes, they often have 1in King headsets. The fit is extremely tight, and the metal in that race seems very soft. With 1 1/8, no problem - the fit is not loose, but for sure it is not nearly as tight.