RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

How to remove stuck anchor nut in brake calipers

Darn anchor nut for front brake calipers got stuck. It's that nut that goes in from the back of the fork. I was attempting to loosen the nut last week and center the front calipers to the wheel, but the screwdriver head stripped the head of the nut and now is unable to grab a hold of the nut. It's one of those silly star head types and the nut is inside the groove of the fork. I tried using the Grabit tool to remove the nut, but to no aval. It seem to be removing more and more material off of the head of the nut. Any help appreciated.

http://4grabit.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

cycling as lifestyle
    Would it be possible for you to provide a picture ? Most of the recessed bolts I've seen are of hex type...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I'll get a picture later. But that's exactly what it is, instead of a hex type nut it's simply a starx type.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Never mind, I ended up turning the brake caliper to loosen the bolt on the other side. however the washer ended up eating or roughing up the surface on the fork.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Starx?

Quote Originally Posted by tjjm36m3
    I'll get a picture later. But that's exactly what it is, instead of a hex type nut it's simply a starx type.
    Could you clarify what a "starx type" nut is? I'm familiar with Torx nuts, but when I Google either starx or starx nut, I come up empty. Are you saying it was a Philips head screw? I'm confused. What kind of a brake mount nut uses a screwdriver?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Yes, it is a torx type nut. I guess I never encounter much of these and forgot exactly how to spell it.

These were the original torx nuts that came with my '08 campy record. They are made of aluminum and very easy to stripe. I was using a T-25 screwdriver and not a phillips type screwdriver, sorry if I was clear. I bought an extra hex-type steel anchor nut and replaced the one on the rear calipers also. Campy should have provided stronger anchor bolts with their brake calipers.