RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018

How To Tell Generation Of Campy Record RD

Hi y’all.

I bought a bike used 2010, I think, with a Campy Record 10s drivetrain. I may need to replace my RD but I’m having some small difficulty determining in what production year the RD was made.

I’m interested both for ensuring I find a compatible Record RD as well as considering a compatible lesser Campy mech like the Chorus or Veloce.

Short of tracking down some paper trail at my LBS, how can I figure this out? The only part numbers I can see are on the jockey wheels and they’re not unique to a production period.

Thanks and cheers.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Post a pic? Most Campy 10 speed will work all the way across their tiers up to 11 speed introduction.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for the pointer. Reading this article on component compatibility between and within brands, it seems you're right on the money. At least through 2015 when that article was written, it seems that my ~2008 (judging by the pictures in the Campagnolo catalogue for that model year) Record RD 10s can be substituted with a newer 10-speed Veloce or Chorus (or Record or Super Record if I want to maintain or upgrade).

My RD looks like this one. Most model years seem to have "Record" printed with "Titanium" or "Carbon" printed underneath, but mine doesn't have that. It does show titanium on the fixing pivot (I think that's the right term) as does the RD in this image.

https://www.velovilles.com/out/pictu...-aa1013254.jpg
    Attachment 323325

I had found an identical match on eBay but, alas, was too slow.
    Last edited by muraii; 08-09-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I can't open your attachment but if it doesn't say Titanium on the plate it's probably 07 or earlier. I assume you have just carbon plates, these part alloy RDs were passed down the tiers all the way to Centaur. If I were you I'd look for a Centaur RD, something like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-...LH_TitleDesc=0
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    I updated the image link. When I'd initially posted the forum asked if I wanted to have it saved on the server and I thought "Why not?" and now we see why not.

That looks to be just about exactly the same production year, judging from the type treatment, the use of carbon vs. titanium, and the lack of a secondary branding (e.g., "Titanium" or whatever under "Centaur").

I'll keep looking. I have a few RDs I'm watching on eBay. This would be an identical replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-...D/153129642794