AKA: Sheila Muirenn
    May 2009

Hydraulic rim brakes for Cross bike with cantilevers?

I keep thinking I'd like to find out if I can use road disc brakes with my new CAADX cantilever brake bike. Just discovered these from TRP, they are supposed to work with all road and cross cable systems!

TRP

What does everyone think?

Sounds amazing, but almost too good to be true.

Wonder what size rotors I'd need? It's the 105 CAADX from 2013. Got a smokin' deal.

RoadBikeReview Member

Hydraulic rim brakes for Cross bike with cantilevers?

It's an interesting idea. Isn't trp also doing some box on the stem where the cables pull on the resivour ?

Either way, interesting idea. Very clean.

Bill

May 2009
    No idea, I'm not a mechanic, just want good brakes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aureliajulia View Post
    No idea, I'm not a mechanic, just want good brakes!
    You should talk to a mechanic then. I really like your idea!!

May 2009
    Well, I will, but didn't really want to call him on the weekend!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I have a pair going onto my bike as i type. Hopefully I will pick the bike up on Wednesday and give a breif openning review.

i am running 160m disc's

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bob.satan View Post
    I have a pair going onto my bike as i type. Hopefully I will pick the bike up on Wednesday and give a breif openning review.

i am running 160m disc's
    Great! What factors determine whether you need 140 or 160mm discs?

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    I keep thinking I'd like to find out if I can use road disc brakes with my new CAADX cantilever brake bike. Just discovered these from TRP, they are supposed to work with all road and cross cable systems!

TRP

What does everyone think?

Sounds amazing, but almost too good to be true.

Wonder what size rotors I'd need? It's the 105 CAADX from 2013. Got a smokin' deal.
    You can't. Your frame does not have disc brake mounts. I have a 2013 CAADX Tiagra.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

'brifter' is a lame word.
    besides the thread title that says 'hydraulic RIM brakes', it would appear ted is correct when he says the frame doesn't have disc mounts. that should have been the OP's first clue.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    they are bigger and from my experience they stop better. I have been running bb7's on the bike since I got it 18 months ago and from mountain bikes that I have had, i always ran the bigger disc, as I am bigger, although never went to the 180+mm disc, as i didnt do DH or FR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Only two hydraulic rim brakes i can think of, maguras from 15 years ago (fyi worked pretty well) and the new brake from SRAM. But it looks like a traditional brake caliper, so it wouldnt handle the tires you want to run.

Actually im bettting that someone addresses this soon. Heck if you allready have a lever for the brakes (Sram) and you have both a disk and a road caliper, then a cross brake cant be far away

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    Only two hydraulic rim brakes i can think of, maguras from 15 years ago (fyi worked pretty well) and the new brake from SRAM. But it looks like a traditional brake caliper, so it wouldnt handle the tires you want to run.

Actually im bettting that someone addresses this soon. Heck if you allready have a lever for the brakes (Sram) and you have both a disk and a road caliper, then a cross brake cant be far away
    you can still fi nd the magura's floating around, the trials riders are big fans, as they need micro movements which rim braking allows, while still having huge grip

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bob.satan View Post

i am running 160m disc's
    so i picked up the bike on saturday afternoon and took it for a ride yesterday.

The new brakes are good. you can definitely feel the difference between the BB7's and the hyrd's. The hydro's grab a lot faster and there is a the ability to feather them.

there is also a lot less squeal.

I had to grab the brakes and slow down suddenly once and my wife behind my, on traditional brakes had to take a real evasive measure to avoid running into my back wheel (a truck decided to over take on the some triathlete's that were double pacelining? over double white lines, right at me!)

anyhow, i will be riding a coupel of hundred miles in the next week, so I shoudl be able to give a better idea of their use next week, once the pads are bedded in better.

Cranky Old Bastard
    I keep thinking I'd like to find out if I can use road disc brakes with my new CAADX cantilever brake bike. Just discovered these from TRP, they are supposed to work with all road and cross cable systems! TRP
    What does everyone think? Sounds amazing, but almost too good to be true.
    There is some confusion in this thread because people are talking about two different systems.

OP, you can't use the brake calipers you linked to because you don't have caliper mounts on the frame or fork. Or do you??
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    There is some confusion in this thread because people are talking about two different systems.

OP, you can't use the brake calipers you linked to because you don't have caliper mounts on the frame or fork. Or do you??
    You are correct. I can't and I don't. In fact, I'd never even tested a bike with disc brakes until this past Saturday, when I tried a Surly Ogre. That's the reason for my initial confusion in my first post. Just didn't understand enough about disc brakes. Now I do know a little more thanks to this thread. Guess I'll just upgrade the brakes to better canti's when I have the money, or maybe even just change out the pads if I can figure out which ones to buy. As I mentioned, I'm not a mechanic, and I've only dealt with the standard road stuff until now.