Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

I need cables/ housing.

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  CAADEL 
#1 ·
I need to change/ upgrade cables and housing on my Red system. I want light weight, efficiency... What are the general recommendations. I do not hear good things about Nokon's...noisey.

#5 ·
Yokozuna if you are willing to pay more on cables/housing. I'm using the Gore Ride-on that came with the Red but noticed the thin coating peeling off and I can only expect it to get gummed up eventually in the housing so I wouldn't recommend it.
Gore cables aren't 'teflon' coated, they're coated w/ a Gore-Tex membrane...that's why they're called GORE cables and not TEFLON cables.
if care is not taken when installing them, the Gore membrane can peel off the cables and gum things up. the important thing to remember is that the cables themselves won't last any longer than normal cables, they just shift slightly smoother. since my Madone has internally routed cables, i just use normal SRAM Pitstop 1.1mm cables in Pitstop housing. i use a leftover piece of Gore liner where the cables pass through the bb cable guide, and for the frt der cable, i use a Gore grub seal to keep dirt and water from getting into the liner. my shifting is so smooth i can't really tell a difference between my set-up and the full Gore set-up.
if the Gore cables actually lasted any longer than normal cables, i might get a little more excited about them (granted, cables don't seem to fatigue and fray in SRAM shifters like they do in Shimano), but they're just normal, braided steel cables w/ the membrane. if you don't mind paying the premium price, AND you have a good mechanic that can install them properly, go ahead and try them. if not, the normal SRAM Pitstop cables/housing work very well.

#6 ·
The Gore Sealed system has been bombproof on my road, 'cross, and mountain bikes for about 2 years overall. If it's set up correctly and sealed, it shifts cleanly and flawlessly. When the time comes to replace the cables, I'll just thread new ones through and try not to open any bits of the system. I do like to use a bit of Nokon at the rear brake on my road bike, it seems to improve the braking. I had remnants of it around and put it to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.