RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

I need help finding a expansion plug bolt that goes in the steering tube...

of my Spec Roubaix road bike it is the bolt that the stem cap bolt screws into, it is about a 1.50 inches long about 10mm wide and takes a 6mm allen wrench in the head, I have called several Spec dealers and they only sell the whole expansion plug and bolt, is there anyplace to just get the bolt only, as that is all thats bad, it broke in half as I was tightening the stem cap bolt. I didn't mess with the expansion plug bolt, but I must to have over tighten the stem cap bolt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura Roubaix View Post
    of my Spec Roubaix road bike it is the bolt that the stem cap bolt screws into, it is about a 1.50 inches long about 10mm wide and takes a 6mm allen wrench in the head, I have called several Spec dealers and they only sell the whole expansion plug and bolt, is there anyplace to just get the bolt only, as that is all thats bad, it broke in half as I was tightening the stem cap bolt. I didn't mess with the expansion plug bolt, but I must to have over tighten the stem cap bolt.
    If you are in the USA, McMaster Carr is a good source for "specialty" bolts but of course if the bolt you broke is custom made for Specialized you may not be able to find something that works. As you buy the bolt (or a new expansion plug), buy a torque wrench as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    If you are in the USA, McMaster Carr is a good source for "specialty" bolts but of course if the bolt you broke is custom made for Specialized you may not be able to find something that works. As you buy the bolt (or a new expansion plug), buy a torque wrench as well.
    Yelp, I'm in the USA, yes I need a torque wrench(I have had issues with the expansion plug bolt working loose), I will probably have to buy the hold expansion plug setup just to get the bolt(about 15.00) But 15.00 just for a bolt chaps my butt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Go to Home Depot or Lowes metric socket head bolt bring your ould bolt or take the expansion plug out and match it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacbullet View Post
    Go to Home Depot or Lowes metric socket head bolt bring your ould bolt or take the expansion plug out and match it
    The bolt I need has a threaded hole thru the middle of it also for the stem cap bolt to screw into, I wouldn't think the Home Depot or Lowes one would.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Sorry about that, I thought you need the stem cap bolt. You're right about needing to buy the whole assembly. https://mikesbikes.com/product/speci...g-245805-1.htm