RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

installing a 31.7 diam aerobar clip on a 31.8 bar

So I'm installing a Deda carbon blast shorty aerobar with a 31.7 diameter clamp onto a 3t ergonova carbon bar with a 31.8 diameter bar. I did ask before buying it if that was going to be a problem and they didn't think so. I've also seen that aerobar listed as 31.7/31.8 compatible.

I'm not sure if I'm worried about it or not, but wouldn't you think that the two aren't compatible? As touchy as carbon is, wouldn't that .1mm difference cause some stress issues? Being that its a little aerobar, it does get my weight and pull during efforts. Anyhow, just looking for thoughts. I'm not so sure the tolerances of stuff made today are all that great in the first place, so this may be a moot issue. I did use carbon paste too, so that may help make up a little difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last week's answer was that the true measure is 31.75 mm ... ( 1.250 inches = 31.75 mm)
    One common practice is to round up if the number preceding the .5 is odd ... so 31.8
    But some round down ... hence 31.7 .....
    So No Worries, Mate. It should all be 31.75 actual .... At least that's what last week's post said.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Here's a quote from wiki: " A new standard is an "oversize" 31.8 mm or 31.7 mm (1.25") clamp for both MTB and road bars."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    cool. thanks for the reply. I didn't even see that post from last week. I think I'll put the micrometer on the bar to test that. I bought one because I was trying to get a new saddle that would fit on my WCS one bolt post, with the side clamps. After buying a few saddles, I realized that clamp diameter and rail diameters were all over the place. Just because they say it fits doesn't mean anything. Also, the Ritchey wcs side clamp replacements for the different height rails are actually all pretty much the same. That was disappointing.