RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Installing BB30 Quarq Crank with Preload Adjuster?

The instructions SRAM supplies are garbage. I bought a BB30 crank because I have a BB30 bottom bracket, and the instructions show two types, BB30 and BB30-IA. I installed using the BB30 instructions with wave washer and spacers, only to find out that IA stands for "integrated adjuster" which (I think) this crank has. So I unscrew everything, regrease, remove all the washers and reinstall using these instructions for the BB30 I-A:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

After the install, I have two concerns:
    My DS crank arm clears the chain by only about 3 mm in the highest gear. There was more clearance when I was using spacers. It looks like there is more clearance from the chain stay on the NDS compared to the DS. Zero play in the crank itself.

Quarq Elsa BB30 Install - Album on Imgur

Also, the chain seems to be scraping the back of the big ring and the outer edge of the front deraileur when I'm in the small ring and in the 3rd or 4th highest gear. I realize it's at the extreme of gearing combinations, but this wasn't the case with my last crankset - at least, I don't think.

So is this crankarm chain clearance normal, and do I need to adjust my FD? Or have I botched this install? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mad Cow Disease; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:04 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Yes, you botched the install.

If you use the pre-load adjustment thing, you do not use the wave washer.

You may need spacer(s) to properly set the chain line.

After installing a new crank, I would not be surprised to have to do some minimal front derailleur adjustments.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Yes, you botched the install.

If you use the pre-load adjustment thing, you do not use the wave washer.

You may need spacer(s) to properly set the chain line.

After installing a new crank, I would not be surprised to have to do some minimal front derailleur adjustments.
    ^This^ Do NOT use any of the spacers on the drive side, only on the non-drive side if you need to use them. Once you think you have it set up correctly push the crank side to side w/ a lot of force to make sure there is no play.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Figures. The instructions made more sense once I understood that IA stood for integrated adjuster.

Spacers on which end? There is only a 10-11 mm spacer on the drive side, which is called for by the instructions (otherwise there would be a lot of exposed spindle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ^This^ Do NOT use any of the spacers on the drive side, only on the non-drive side if you need to use them. Once you think you have it set up correctly push the crank side to side w/ a lot of force to make sure there is no play.
    Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong, but adding spacers to the NDS was what I did the first time around (with the wave washer) botching the install. All that would do is give me more clearance on the NDS right? I see that moving the spindle to the left and giving me even more trouble on the DS. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I think Quarq BB30 crank spindles are sized to allow fitting to BBRight or 68mm BB30. Since BBRight is 79mm you need the DS spacer to position the spindle. I suppose you might need some additional spacer DS or NDS to get your chainline correct. The IA works as sort of an adjustable width spacer (within the range of the threading) to get the right pre-load on the bearings.

scott s.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow Disease View Post
    Figures. The instructions made more sense once I understood that IA stood for integrated adjuster.

Spacers on which end? There is only a 10-11 mm spacer on the drive side, which is called for by the instructions (otherwise there would be a lot of exposed spindle
    Yes, I wasn't clear in my explanation. The big 10mm (or whatever it is) goes on the DS outside of the bearing cover, inside of the crank arm. You use the clear plastic spacers/shims and the adjuster to get rid of any play you might have.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards