Impulse Athletic Coaching

Installing FSA Orbit Z into carbon frame? (ZX3 owners?)

Anyone know how to install the FSA Orbit Z headset into the ZX3 frame? It will slide in pretty easily, but will not tighten completely. Thus, it is loose and moves around.

What am I doing wrong?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    Anyone know how to install the FSA Orbit Z headset into the ZX3 frame? It will slide in pretty easily, but will not tighten completely. Thus, it is loose and moves around.

What am I doing wrong?
    Is this a zero stack headset? I think the ZX3 is like the RS that I have and it uses a normal IS headset, like the FSA Orbit IS that Pedal Force sells. I'm not sure that they are interchangeable.
    Last edited by kgatwork; 11-23-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Oh, that's what I meant! It's an FSA Orbit IS -- Pedal Force shipped it with my bike.

Any help?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    The folks at Pedal Force sent various emails when the ZX3 frames were being sent out regarding a mix-up with the Cane Creek Headsets. According to their email, their supplier had mixed up IS-8 and IS-8i headsets, so some frames were sent out with the wrong headset (the IS-8i is the wrong one). They also mentioned that the IS-8i would not work and could damage the frame. So you should verify that the one you received is the correct one and contact them. In the outside of the box it should say IS-8 (instead of IS-8i).
    Hope this helps.

Uh, it came inside a bag...is there anywhere on the actual headset that says what type it is?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    The Cane Creek IS 8i is has "IS 8i" printed on the headset on the top race/riser spacer.Someone on another forum had the same problem trying to use a FSA Campy standard HS on the new ZX3 that uses the Cane Creek IS standard.Not sure if the FSA says IS on it,but the cartridge bearings should be labeled 36x45 degrees on all Cane Creek standard IS headsets.I ordered a Cane Creek IS2 headset from Jensen and received the IS2i by mistake.Apparently this mix up is now common and can lead to ruined frames.
    Last edited by jordan; 11-24-2007 at 10:07 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

size...

Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    Uh, it came inside a bag...is there anywhere on the actual headset that says what type it is?

The IS bearings are 41mm in diameter and should have 36 x 45 etched on them. The other model would be made to the Campy standard and have 45 x 45 on the bearings. These bearings are also a larger 41.8mm diameter. The larger bearings should not drop into the head tube.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=68