Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Installing rear brake on Chines TT frame on bracket

Hi,

Please some advice how to mount and which type is preferred for a rear brake on a chinese FM-028 TT frame. It doesn't have a hole on the normal position for mounting the brake there, so I suppose I've got to do it at the bottom bracket.

Thanks in advance !

Kristof

Rub it............
    Are you trying to use a standard road caliper or one specific for TT bikes?

If it doesn't have a standard brake mount area at the top of the wheel arch, and can only be mounted at the bottom bracket, I'm pretty sure you need this type of brake caliper.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...ro-brakes-8983
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    THanks,

I've figured out that the Tektro T725 should also do the job.

The mounting at the bottom bracket looks like this:

I don't see any thread in the center hole.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    unscrew the 2 hex bolts, mount a std rear brake and screw the bracket back in

Rub it............
    Standard rear brake will run into clearance issues. I built a Mercury TT frame up a few months back and found that a standard rear brake caliper does not mount there correctly when the crank is installed
    You can't fix stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

SRAM Force ?

Somebody any experience with SRAM Force and this kind of mounting ?

I'll think I'd better play for save and use the Tektro R725

Rub it............
    The Force calipers are a standard caliper. Just get the aero style caliper and hook it up. Its all about crank clearance.
    You can't fix stupid.

Perma-Newb
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kristofpoppe
    THanks,

I've figured out that the Tektro T725 should also do the job.

The mounting at the bottom bracket looks like this:

I don't see any thread in the center hole.

This looks like a cable stop for the front derailleur. You can try any of the suggestions listed but I would be suprised that, assuming it is a cable stop, that the stay's layup was designed to carry braking loads.

Hope you had a good price on that bad boy for the headache is it providing...especially if you can't mount a brake to it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Everytihing is clear now

Everything seems clear now.

I have to unscrew the two hex bolts and mount a tektro R725 rearbrake on the carrying plate. When this is done, just attach both brake and mounting plate with the two hex bolts.

The only speciality is that you can't use any kind of conventional rear brake. It has to be one without a pivot-arm.

Tektro R725 and Oval Concepts A700 should do the job.

If anybody needs pictures of the mounting procedure, I'll be glad to post them when my tektro's arrive by airmail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    @kristofpoppe: where did you order it from? At what price? I would seriously like pics please, I'm looking into buying exactly that frame, but am a bit worried about finding a brake.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by carelgrundlingh
    @kristofpoppe: where did you order it from? At what price? I would seriously like pics please, I'm looking into buying exactly that frame, but am a bit worried about finding a brake.
    I have the frame at home, the tektro's are on their way.

I live in Belgium, but bought them on EBAY in the USA. (75 USD).
    There're not hard to find. In Europe I've found serveral online shops for them, all about 78 EUR for the complete set.

I expect the delivery end of next week and keep you informed about the mounting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks kristofpoppe! I'll have to go the Ebay route as well, I live in South Africa, and can't find any of those around here. PLEASE post some pics when you've installed it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks kristofpoppe! I'll have to go the Ebay route as well, I live in South Africa, and can't find any of those around here. PLEASE post some pics when you've installed it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Hi, I finally got the time to post some pics. Installation is straight forward. Remove the aluminium mount-pad. Wrench it to the short center bolt of the brake. Pics should be self-explaining. If there is some clarification needed, please let me know !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks kristofpoppe! I'm eagerly awaiting mine!! How 'bout a pic of the whole bike built up when you have the time....?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks kristofpoppe! I'm eagerly awaiting mine!! How 'bout a pic of the whole bike built up when you have the time....?
    +1 for the pic. I want to see how the noodle routes by the chainrings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jwp3476
    +1 for the pic. I want to see how the noodle routes by the chainrings.
    Waitig for some final components.
    I'll post a pic when it's finished.
    I had to change the inlet of the cable. Just inter-changed the inlet and the part where the brake-cable is mounted on the caliper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kristofpoppe
    Waitig for some final components.
    I'll post a pic when it's finished.
    I had to change the inlet of the cable. Just inter-changed the inlet and the part where the brake-cable is mounted on the caliper.
    Right, both arms are designed to hold the noodle and clamp. Did you buy the front brake too and will it install behind the fork without touching the frame?
    The pic is of my Aegis Zaero with those brakes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Installing rear brake on Chines TT frame on bracket-_dsc0511aegiszaero1024.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jwp3476
    Right, both arms are designed to hold the noodle and clamp. Did you buy the front brake too and will it install behind the fork without touching the frame?
    The pic is of my Aegis Zaero with those brakes.
    I was not able to use the front brake at the back of the fork.
    The shape of the frork doesn't allow any type of brake mounted at the rear-side.
    So I ordered a common tektro frontbrake to do the job.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Here are some pictures of the final assembly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Looks really good Krisofpoppe.

I too am looking at getting a new TT frame and am very tempted to go down the Chinese route as the prices are so good.

Have a couple of questions that if you don't mind answering would be most grateful.

1) What is the clearance like between the rear tyre and the frame, I know that the rear stays aren't adjustable which to me is a bit of a shame. But want to check that the tyre doesn't get too close to the frame, then again I don't want a massive gap between the tyre and frame.

2) Did you get the frame painted by the supplier in China or did you get it done locally? If in China what do you think of the quality from the couple of shots you have posted it looks good quality.

3) which supplier in China did you use?

4) Did you by chance weigh the frame and fork when it arrived, I know that weight is not the primary concern for a TT bike but you don't want something that is stupidly heavy do you.

Thanks in advance

Al

RoadBikeReview Member
    1) The rear dropouts are horizontal. With a Renn disc and 23mm tubular, about 3mm of clearance. Since they're horizontal, you can adjust as needed. As an added bonus, you can turn this into a single speed without much trouble.

2) I tried with the center pull Tektro brake, and even though braking isn't usually a huge issue in a (flat) TT/Tri, it's still disconcerting if the front brake is strong and the rear is essentially non-functional. The problem is the cabling setup really needs a stop after the cable exits the frame. So, I finally went with the Simkins egg brake, as have others on this forum, works very nicely. Might eventually replace the front with one just to match.

Off topic: I'm not feeling the fake Cervelo decaling. Look at it this way, anyone who knows what a P3 is can tell this isn't one, so who is being fooled?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Installing rear brake on Chines TT frame on bracket-cv0p367-1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Second year on this bike

Hello,

I have the same bike and I am riding it for a second season. I ended up going with the Tektro center-pull break and to support the brake I routed the cable through a 1" section of PVC tubing with a hole drilled perpendicular and close to the top.

Sounds silly I realize, but it was a free solution. Basically this allows the brake cable to stay in-line with the brake and removes the slack.

This year I went a bit further and created a carbon stay for the brake cable. This has made the brake nice and tight and doesn't require a huge "noodle" like you see on the Specialized Transition (which also have stays to keep the cable at the correct angle to the brake).

I still can't lock up the rear wheel at speed, but that seems to be a common issue with most center pull brakes/bottom mounted brakes.

Also, my comments about the bike in general: It feels much more efficient than my Quintana Roo Kilo. It's a very quite bike and smooth ride. Feels solid and fast. It corners a bit sharper than my Kilo as well.

THIS IS A KIT BIKE. What I mean by that is this. It's a lot of work to build up. It's not a matter of just slapping the parts on. I spent a lot of time sanding (mostly the handlebars that I got from the same place - Great Keen) - measuring and cutting (I got the seat mast version - so I had to cut the seat mast down, the bar ends down, and the fork) But I enjoyed doing all that - just know that before you dive in. I don't have a big bike budget (had to replace the Kilo because the derailleur hanger - integrated on the bike - broke) so I did approach this project as cost saver. I was able to transfer most of the parts over and have begun replacing them as the money trickles in.

-CF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Installing rear brake on Chines TT frame on bracket-img_0037.jpg   Installing rear brake on Chines TT frame on bracket-img_0038.jpg   Installing rear brake on Chines TT frame on bracket-img_0039.jpg   Installing rear brake on Chines TT frame on bracket-img_0040.jpg   Installing rear brake on Chines TT frame on bracket-img_0041.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I have a chinese FM-028 TT frame, and the bottom mounted rear brake does not have any breaking power at speed (and I'm not quick!). So far I have used Tektro R725R & T726R brake calipers, and the resulting performance is the same... NONE.

Note that I can lock the wheel at very low speeds, so the braking is there... just nowere to be found at speed... maybe it jumps off the bike past 10km/h?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you changed the Tectro pads? They didn't provide much stopping power for me. I am using Swiss Stop yellow pads which are much better. The combination of Tectro calipers and TT levers do leave a lot to be desired so I wouldn't want to descend in the mountains with them.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast