RoadBikeReview Member

Installing Ultegra BB60 bottom bracket - need torque wrench? which one?

Ok, so I'm upgrading my components to Ultegra 6800 group and I will be using the BB60 bottom bracket. I have a Park bottom bracket tool (BBT-9), but come to find out that does not work with the current Ultegra. Shimano includes a crappy plastic piece that can be fit into this wrench, but it is not really sufficient for multiple uses. So I have to get a new tool, the Park Tool BBT-59 to fit the bottom bracket correctly and this requires a 3/8" driver or torque wrench. I paid $18 for the bottom bracket, the tool will be $24. If I get a torque wrench, I'll be out a several times what the damn bb cost!

Anyway, I've installed several external bb's without a torque wrench with no problems. This is going on a steel frame. What's the risk if I do this without a torque wrench?

Also, the bottom bracket tightens clockwise on the non-drive side and counterclockwise on the drive side. Many torque wrenches I've looked at DO NOT measure torque in the counterclockwise direction, therefore they would be useless for this application (along with installing/torquing pedals, for example). Can you guys recommend a 3/8" torque wrench that measures torque both directions and is less than say $60?

I did find this wrench. It may be junk, I don't know and I can't justify spending much more for such a little-used tool. I guess I could always go to a shop, but I do like to do my own wrenching and I have a smaller, 1/4" torque wrench for some carbon components (I only goes to 24NM so can't use on BB)
    Thanks for reading this long-winded post. I appreciate any help!
    Last edited by burgrat; 02-19-2017 at 04:32 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Why do you believe that the Shimano plastic tool is no good?? I've used that tool many times with no problems. You do realize that the rise in popularity of the torque wrench is due to products pushing the boundaries of durability vs weight. In your case, you're dealing with a steel frame & so it won't have the same issues as with carbon in regards to over tightening.

The only thing you really need to worry about is not cross threading it or stripping it. Do use grease on all thread surfaces & snug it up with enough force to the point that you can't tighten it anymore & stop at that point. You're over thinking this. Its not rocket science.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    Why do you believe that the Shimano plastic tool is no good?? I've used that tool many times with no problems. You do realize that the rise in popularity of the torque wrench is due to products pushing the boundaries of durability vs weight. In your case, you're dealing with a steel frame & so it won't have the same issues as with carbon in regards to over tightening.

The only thing you really need to worry about is not cross threading it or stripping it. Do use grease on all thread surfaces & snug it up with enough force to the point that you can't tighten it anymore & stop at that point. You're over thinking this. Its not rocket science.
    You're right. I went back and re-fit the plastic part better into the Park wrench and I was able to get the bottom bracket on without any problem. I did a quick attempt before and the plastic teeth didn't seem like they would hold at all, but when placed in the tool correctly it works well enough for my needs. I was able to tighten nicely and the plastic doesn't scratch the metal, unlike the bare tool on my previous bb. Thanks for your reply Stan!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    No problem. I'm a big fan of steel bikes & have several myself. Back in the day before I learned how to do my own wrenching, I would take my bike into the lbs & watch the mechanics as much as possible to learn. I don't think the question of too much force was ever brought up when working on steel bikes. I've had seized seatposts & stems that were a nightmare to get out. Watching 2 mechanics putting my seatpost in a vice & then wrenching on the bike to free it up is a sight to believe. If you get squeamish watching someone pounding on a bike, don't watch when a mechanic is installing a Chris King headset. Not for the faint of heart, believe me on this. But heck, steel is super durable & resilient. Did I also mention to use plenty of grease on all contact points & also use a rust inhibitor spray on your frame tubes which you can buy at any auto parts store. Now enjoy your new ride.