RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

iPod Touch + GPS = Poor Man's Edge 800?

So a Garmin Edge 800 with cadence and HRM is $530 on Amazon right now. The new 810 is close to $700.

Would this work?
    Get an iPod touch, give it GPS capability, and add a cadence and HRM via bluetooth, then get a bracket to hold it to your bars.

An iPod Touch 4, refurbished from the Apple store is $150. Used on Ebay, the 3 can be found as cheaply as $50.

The iPod doesn't come with GPS, but you have a few options to add it:
    BadElf makes a chip that plugs in to the 30 pin connector, they make a bluetooth GPS, a few companies make a case that gives the iPod GPS and extends the battery. $50-150

Then you need to attach it to your bars. You can finds brackets for around $20.

Next, you want to add cadence. Wahoo Fitness makes a speed and cadence sensor for $35.

Now you need a bluetooth HRM. You can find those on Amazon for $50.

Finally, you'll need to download a cycling app with base maps and speed/distance/cadence etc.

So you could do the whole thing for just over $200. Although, what you'll end up with might be a little cobbled together and buggy.

Still, for under $400, you get a pretty nice system that would probably function really well.

Sleep Expert
    Better off getting a more basic model of Garmin. You can try doing what you're thinking, but most likely in the end, you'll get the real deal anyway. Doing that will mean even more money spent.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    Better off getting a more basic model of Garmin. You can try doing what you're thinking, but most likely in the end, you'll get the real deal anyway. Doing that will mean even more money spent.
    Yup....look for a garmin edge 305, or if you want maps look for the 705 model....very nice units. I have a 705.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Recently I considered doing this, but using my phone. In the end I decided that it was a bad idea because it isn't waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I looked into this too. various cases and add on doohickeys seem like it could work. In the end, it would just be a big thing on my bars or in my jersey pocket.

I'm glad I went for the Garmin 800. It's fairly small, does a good job, and is stupidly reliable. I have crashed on my mtb and it has never had an issue.

Look for a closeout on a 500 or 800.

For mapping, it's the 800 with all those FREE OSM maps. HR monitors and speed sensors are easy to find as anything with ANT+ works.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    What about getting a used iPhone without service, and adding cadence and HR. I think the GPS still works even if the iPhone doesn't have service.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Unless you're doing short rides, you have to take battery life into consideration. A garmin will get 10-18hrs of battery life.
    An ipod/iphone running bluetooth, gps, and the screen constantly on...maybe 2hrs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    The Android phone is GPS enabled and cost less than any of the above. Cadence, don't know. The Tracks App is Google Map synced and pretty nice.
    Only the dead shall know the end of war.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    If you get an iPhone or any GPS enabled smartphone, you can download any of the free apps and get GPS tracking for your rides. You'll get distance, speeds, altitudes and maps, plus any combination of these (e.g. ave. speeds, speeds per segment etc.) and you won't have to fiddle around with GPS dongles etc.

This is especially cheap if you already have a smartphone since the only thing you need is the phone case or phone mount for your bike. You can skip that as well and put your phone inside a ziplock bag in your jersey pocket if you're not too particular about needing to look at your speed and distance covered as you ride.

If you want to get an HRM, they are available cheaply as you pointed out, plus you have a choice of apps (Wahoo, Sports-Tracker, Strava).

Once you start adding other accessories - cadence etc, or start going on longer rides, or face inclement weather, then the value proposition of dedicated cycling GPS units wins out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Unless you're doing short rides, you have to take battery life into consideration. A garmin will get 10-18hrs of battery life.
    An ipod/iphone running bluetooth, gps, and the screen constantly on...maybe 2hrs?
    Bingo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Re: iPod Touch + GPS = Poor Man's Edge 800?

Do it right and get a Garmin. You'll regret it if you don't.

.je
    Success find: 0 items!
    For a while I used my feature phone as a cycle computer, and used the Google Maps app, but it basically sucked. It measured speed sort of ok, but was unuseable for almost anything else, except finding where I was if I was lost. Battery life was about an hour and 15 minutes too.

If you're really going to use it, buy a good GPS unit, there's a reason that smartphones haven't put these out of business yet.

Fix Altitude in My Tracks
    Quote Originally Posted by skitorski View Post
    The Android phone is GPS enabled and cost less than any of the above. Cadence, don't know. The Tracks App is Google Map synced and pretty nice.
    +1. I don't even leave the screen on. Just put the phone in my jersey pocket and use my app to correct the elevations when I'm done. "Tracks App"... you mean My Tracks, right?
    Altitude Retriever corrects the altitude in your My Tracks tracks and GPX files. Bummed out by how far off the GPS altitude is on your device? Let the Altitude Retriever fetch for out.
    Get it on Google Play!