Devoid of all flim-flam

IRD Interloc Chains

Anybody have recent experience with them? I have circa 2000 Campy Chorus 10 speed.
    I played with the IRD 10 speed teflon chain at the LBS today, and honestly it doesn't seem nearly as tightly woven or well-finished as the Campy. Nevertheless, I'm not sure that translates into inferior performance.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

banned
    Oct 2005
    I tried one, it broke. I got it replaced, it broke also. Then I went back to Campy chains, it kept skipping on that cassette, the IRD chain had made hamburger meat of it in 600 odd miles. I went to KMC chains (I like a snaplink) and have not had a problem since.

light-bikes.com has them at a good price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I've used two of the IRD 'sport' 10spd. chains (not the teflon version, which is supposed to be crap). Both were very quiet, with perfect shifting and the first one lasted what I consider to be a reasonable time. A strange thing happened with the second one at around 1000 mi: I built a new bike (this one with a Campy 6.2 mm chain) and the bike with the IRD chain sat for several weeks while I played with my new toy.

When I went back to the IRD equipped bike, most of the links were stiff, as if they had rusted. The thing was well maintained with ProLink and not ridden in the rain prior to this problem. I wanted to ride, so I threw it in a jar with some solvent and put on a new KMC chain that I had sitting around, and not looked back. The KMC seems very good and I was able to pick one up at Nashbar for around $25!

I may try to revive the IRD chain as a spare, but still can't understand what happened.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Thank you Karbon and jmoryl. One of the things that attracted me to the brand was that they include a 6.0mm quick link with their chains. So...even if the chain didn't work out, I'd probably be able to use the quick link on a new 5.9(?) Campy one.

In any case, I'm not sure yet because I haven't been able to give it a true test, but I think I've solved the drive train problem that had me thinking about a new chain. It turns out my cassette was loose. I could unscrew the lock ring with just my fingers! (And a Campy cassette/bb tool, too, of course.) After a good tightening, my drive train hasn't been so positive and quiet in months.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.