RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Issues installing new Zipp Service Course stem on Cannondale Synapse - won't tighten

I purchased a shorter stem for a 2018 Cannondale Synapse and attempted to install it this weekend. Stem is Zipp Service Course SL, aluminum stem, 90mm.

No matter how many times I tried to install it, including switching all the bolts around, tightening each bolt slowly, loosening some while tightening others in all combinations, it won't tighten properly.

As you can see from the attached picture, the top right bolt (when looking at bike) won't tighten all the way while the top left bolt won't tighten anymore such that the stem is not evenly tightened on the bar.

A picture is attached of the issue. Am I doing something wrong or could this be a manufacturing issue? No such issue with stem I took off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Issues installing new Zipp Service Course stem on Cannondale Synapse - won't tighten-stem.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If you see the opposite on the bottom then yes you are doing something wrong. If the bottom is even it's defective.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Take the face plate off and run the bolts all the way into the tapped holes. My guess is they're not all tapped fully/evenly. Or has a burr not allowing the bolts to thread deep enough.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Really looks as if that faceplate has been deformed from over tightening.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I've installed those stems thousands of times over the years (boy, I sound old) and I've never had a single one look like that unless they were unevenly tightened on the bottom too.

They come from Zipp with the screws tightened all the way down - they're dead flush. All the time.

Either it's uneven on the bottom, you bent it somehow, or a one-in-thousands manufacturing mistake combined with a one-in-thousands QC mistake landed something bent from the factory in your lap. I suppose any are possible, but if I were forced to put the mortgage on one it'd be one of the first two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    I've installed those stems thousands of times over the years (boy, I sound old) and I've never had a single one look like that unless they were unevenly tightened on the bottom too.

They come from Zipp with the screws tightened all the way down - they're dead flush. All the time.

Either it's uneven on the bottom, you bent it somehow, or a one-in-thousands manufacturing mistake combined with a one-in-thousands QC mistake landed something bent from the factory in your lap. I suppose any are possible, but if I were forced to put the mortgage on one it'd be one of the first two.
    I took it off again last night and tightened the screws without it on the bars and it is clearly slightly deformed or not uniform as I can't get all the bolts to tighten flush. I guess it is possible I bent it but I basically took it out of the package and used a torque wrench to install, went under the torque specifications when doing so and tightened each bolt a little at a time. If it did bend through application of less torque than specified that would surprise me but I would consider that a defect.

I also noted when I took out one of the bolts there were some metal shavings on it as if the bolt is too big or the hole too small.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwenzel View Post
    I took it off again last night and tightened the screws without it on the bars and it is clearly slightly deformed or not uniform as I can't get all the bolts to tighten flush. I guess it is possible I bent it but I basically took it out of the package and used a torque wrench to install, went under the torque specifications when doing so and tightened each bolt a little at a time. If it did bend through application of less torque than specified that would surprise me but I would consider that a defect.

I also noted when I took out one of the bolts there were some metal shavings on it as if the bolt is too big or the hole too small.
    Sounds like a bad tap. Return it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwenzel View Post

Well, I'm glad I didn't actually wager the mortgage then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Face plate looks bent to me
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did you buy it off Ebay?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Update. I did not buy it off e-bay. I purchased it on Amazon from a third party seller and am returning it.

Purchased a new one from Western Bike Works. Inspected everything before installing. Just installed it without any issues.

The one from Amazon was 2018 year, the one from Western Bike Works was 2017 per the packaging. Appeared identical to me otherwise.