Nasty, brutish, and tall.

ITM Millennium carbon stem...carbon what?

I got this stem on eBay because it's what I need and the price was right. I didn't care about the carbon gimmick at all...but I also didn't realize it was such a gimmick! Seriously - the only carbon on this stem is a thin wrap, maybe 1mm thick, and there's a gap on the bottom where you can see where it's bonded. It is real carbon, not just a sticker. It's even a nice stem!

But still, what's the point? My PhD won't be in anything anywhere near engineering, but I know enough to know this CANNOT offer ANY structural advantage. Some people will buy anything...including me, I guess.

Hmmm...not photos on the new forum, I guess. Maybe later.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    yeah, but you're riding the "CARBON WAVE"! I'm going to invent carbon bandage wrap so banged up cyclists can look cool and be lighter in the next race...oh dang, did I just say that out loud. Patent pending! Patent Pending!

They claim vibration damping It also weighs a ton at 190g for a 120mm.

Quote Originally Posted by divve
    They claim vibration damping It also weighs a ton at 190g for a 120mm.
    Nah, not quite. Mine weighs 162g for 130x10 deg. Respectable, but not stinking light. Still, it replaced a Thomson Elite...

And it's - ooohhhhhh yeah - much more comfortable. The carbon totally damps all the road noise, cracks, curbs - everything. I ride it down steps and it feels like I'm on a smooth grade! I said carbon stems were about the stupidest thing you could invest in...boy, was I wrong.

Does anyone know why the photo upload isn't even an option for me? I chalked it up to the forum upgrade, but I see some other folks that have uploaded photos since then. Would Firefox be preventing it?

-The Good Doctor

Here's that photo. Pretty sweet, eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ITM Millennium carbon stem...carbon what?-img_3460.jpg  

-The Good Doctor

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    Nah, not quite. Mine weighs 162g for 130x10 deg. Respectable, but not stinking light. Still, it replaced a Thomson Elite...
    I don't just make up weights and my scale is accurate. If your weight was correct I think ITM would jump at the opportunity to advertise their stem at almost 30g less than they currently do.

As for the bottom, the previous owner probably removed the decal. It should have been neatly finished with a fake carbon decal with torque rating printed on it.

BTW, I just thought of this....is yours perhaps not the over sized version? That may explain the rather large difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ITM Millennium carbon stem...carbon what?-125_2514.jpg   ITM Millennium carbon stem...carbon what?-125_2515.jpg  

BTW, I just thought of this....is yours perhaps not the over sized version? That may explain the rather large difference.
    Correct, mine is the 26.0. Here you had me thinking that my six-week-old scale was off! Sheesh.

Too bad I already left feedback for the seller. Wish I'd known about the sticker... That must be where all the advantages of the carbon lie - strength, light weight, damping, etc.

Also, as a slight aside, do you know what the bolt sizes are? Are they M5x15? I'm used to all M5 bolts on MTBs having 5mm hex-heads, but these are definitely 4mm. I think I might pick some Ti bolts up for cheap, but don't know what size.

-The Good Doctor

The screws on my stem are M5x18. There are only 4 screws however, so the weight savings is minimal. Probably in the area of 3g in total if you replace them by Ti screws.

Regarding the torque indication, note that it applies to aluminum handlebars and steerer tubes. ITM recommends 2Nm less when clamping carbon components. I've found that 5Nm is sufficiently tight for both my handlebars and steerer. It doesn't take much torque when everything is clean and properly mates.

Regarding the torque indication, note that it applies to aluminum handlebars and steerer tubes. ITM recommends 2Nm less when clamping carbon components. I've found that 5Nm is sufficiently tight for both my handlebars and steerer.
    Cool, thanks. That was another thing I missed without the sticker, and decided to conservatively wing it...

-The Good Doctor