RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Jagwire Racer Cable Kit Question

Just received the Jagwire Road Pro cable kit (formally called "racer") and I have two points of confusion that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1. Does the flex tubing end of the brake cable that goes into the shifter not receive a ferrule as it appears none was included in the kit.

2. What are the little knurled rubber pieces for? Did these replace the former hour glass tube looking things to protect the headtube?

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pamt View Post
    Just received the Jagwire Road Pro cable kit (formally called "racer") and I have two points of confusion that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1. Does the flex tubing end of the brake cable that goes into the shifter not receive a ferrule as it appears none was included in the kit.

2. What are the little knurled rubber pieces for? Did these replace the former hour glass tube looking things to protect the headtube?
    Trying to recall from my racer kit...

1. It should. All their housings have a ferrule attached to one end of the housing, which goes into the shifter or brake

2. Yes. But.... I'm thinking about putting some clear bra on the head tube instead.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: Jagwire Racer Cable Kit Question

No ferrules needed on my Campy levers.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RoadBikeReview Member
    Correct...no ferrule needed on the housing ends that go into the shifters. Depending on the shifter, the ferrule might not fit in there anyway.

The "knurled rubber pieces" could be one of two things: 1) Cable doughnuts (or bagels if you prefer) that go on the brake cables where cable housing is not present to keep the cable from vibrating against the top tube, or 2) headtube protectors that go around the shifter or brake housing where it touches the head tube to protect from cable rub. I think the Racer kit comes with both...can't remember. If they're tiny, they're cable doughnuts.