Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member

Just Received my Fizik Ares Saddle. It is nearly 20% overweight. What to do?

I just received my order from Amazon for a Fizik Ares saddle. I took it out of the box and put it right on the scale, and the scale displayed 194 grams. Fizik claims that this saddle is 165 grams. I have also need many review sites which all state that they found it to weight between 161 and 169 grams. I honestly didn't even care about the weight, but receiving a saddle that is nearly 20% over the claimed weight somewhat concerns me. It isn't like this was some cheap saddle.

What would you do?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Eat less turkey tomorrow.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    cut 10% off of each side of the saddle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

Low rep power
    It's an ounce.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

RoadBikeReview Member
    As Salsa would say "HTFU"
    Bikes:
    Felt F95 2011: my main road ride

Jamis Dragon 29 Sport 2011: my main MTB(Steel is Real)

Raleigh Record 1976: Single speed in the making

Possible Fuji cross frame I might get... and paint...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would be hoping that the seller doesn't find out and demand 20 percent more money.
    Flaunting my stupidity one run on sentence fragment at a time

RoadBikeRider
    I would suggest that you repost this in weight weenies forum. They should be able to help you with this tragedy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Amazon has a very simple and easy return system, you can do it all online. They even let you print out the return authorization and you just put it in the box to return....they even set up the UPS pickup for the return.

If it's gonna bug you forever, just return it. Then buy another somewhere else and promise yourself to keep that one no matter what it weighs.

Mad-one...
    Get your scales checked, seriously. It could be them.
    There is NO rehearsal - this is the real thing.

all the gear - no idea
    Sep 2003
    sit on it ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Take a drill and drill holes in the base of the saddle. That will get rid of the extra girth. Guys! A saddle 27 grams heavier will make climbing out of the saddle impossible. All the rocking back and forth will cause to much torque on the lower back muscles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Shave your legs. That should offset the weight difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    I just received my order from Amazon for a Fizik Ares saddle. I took it out of the box and put it right on the scale, and the scale displayed 194 grams. Fizik claims that this saddle is 165 grams. I have also need many review sites which all state that they found it to weight between 161 and 169 grams. I honestly didn't even care about the weight, but receiving a saddle that is nearly 20% over the claimed weight somewhat concerns me. It isn't like this was some cheap saddle.

What would you do?
    If I honestly didn't care about weight I would have taken it out of the box and put in on my bike not a scale.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    I would completely disassemble your bike, get three scales weigh and compare everything to what is claimed. That way you know for sure.

You can never be too careful you know.

On a brighter note. I weighed my Brooks. It is 46.64367 grams lighter than the claimed 512.43564 grams.

Thang gawd.
    Off for a ride. I ought to be faster on account of Brooks error in my favor.

Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Haha, thanks for the support, guys. You all make for a terrible support group! ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aside from being a weight weenie, the added weight would suggest to me that the saddle was not assembled correctly, which may lead to comfort or structural issues. I'd get a different one.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Haha, thanks for the support, guys. You all make for a terrible support group! ;)
    From a support group sort of twisted sense and because the weight in question is less than 100 grams I offer you the short version of steps to support and recovery.

• admit that you cannot control your compulsion regarding saddle weight
    • recognize a higher power that can give strength and weight savings
    • examine past errors with the help of a sponsor at the LBS
    • make amends for these errors;
    • learn to live a new life with a fresh perspective on component weight
    • help others who suffer from the same addictions or compulsions.

We're feeling better yes?
    Flaunting my stupidity one run on sentence fragment at a time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    before every race I do the unthinkable, i go take a dump and knock off at least a pound...just thinking

obviously that saddle is a cull piece of crap, unworthy of your riding
    please send to my address, i will take good care of it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not worth your time to mess with it, life is too short. I am sure that extra ounce would make you .000002% faster, so it may be worth sending back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    165 to 194 is a significant difference percentage wise so I understand why you're complaining. That said, you spent money on something that didn't meet your expectations. I would return it after confirming with at least one more scale.

Moving forward, be prepared to encounter this often if you want to be a WW (nothing wrong with that by the way). Manufacturers claims are often meaningless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

cause

What would you do?
    marketing can reduce the claimed weight of any bike part by that percent. To me the number 1 concern with any saddle should be "is it comfortable?" 30 grams is not going to make the difference between you being pack fodder or a butt-kicking speed demon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    You haven't replied if you have calibrated your scale. All scales need to be calibrated occasionally. Also if you do calibrate your scale, I would like to know your method. Typically you would buy a reference weight of at least 1/2 the max weight or maybe one closer to your target weight and compare your reading against the stamped in weight.
    Note: reference weights are easy to get but not cheap. You might be able to get a small set for about the cost of a decent saddle (yours).
    Another test would be to take your saddle to a grocery store and weigh it on several hanging scales or a butchers scale. Those are calibrated on a regular basis. Do more than one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know the last thread about saddle weight, but relatively speaking this case is a huge difference. I see why the OP is uneasy about this. I mean he's comparing to other actual, weighed values.

But that being said, I would check that scale again. I don't think Fi'zi:k would allow such a difference in weight with such a small saddle.

Vee
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrjensen View Post
    You haven't replied if you have calibrated your scale. All scales need to be calibrated occasionally. Also if you do calibrate your scale, I would like to know your method. Typically you would buy a reference weight of at least 1/2 the max weight or maybe one closer to your target weight and compare your reading against the stamped in weight.
    Note: reference weights are easy to get but not cheap. You might be able to get a small set for about the cost of a decent saddle (yours).
    Another test would be to take your saddle to a grocery store and weigh it on several hanging scales or a butchers scale. Those are calibrated on a regular basis. Do more than one.
    I did check my scale. I simply weighed a few US coins and they all came out to proper weights. The SRAM parts I weighed all came in very close to claimed weights. I am pretty sure that scale isn't the issue.

I ordered a second and plan to weigh the second to see what that one comes in at. Worst case, they both come in heavy, then i can ask Fizik what's up.

I know this all sounds ridiculous to some of you, but being out of spec by 20% is hard to accept for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I's still try it on another scale. A small saddle ought to be easy enough to take into a grocery store. Also I would test my scale with at least 1/2 your target weight. If it's an analog scale, it's most accurate in the center of it's range. Digital is too because when all is said and done, the only thing that's digital is the readout. Well that's not entirely true, they might use what's called a load cell but they still work by pressure, same as analog (cheaper) type.
    I did check my scale. I simply weighed a few US coins and they all came out to proper weights. The SRAM parts I weighed all came in very close to claimed weights. I am pretty sure that scale isn't the issue.

I ordered a second and plan to weigh the second to see what that one comes in at. Worst case, they both come in heavy, then i can ask Fizik what's up.

I know this all sounds ridiculous to some of you, but being out of spec by 20% is hard to accept for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast