Almost Not a Newbie
    Sep 2005

Keep on Kovers for Speedplay pedals

For a couple of months I've been using these on my Speedplay Zero pedals, with great satisfaction. Except. Twice now the cover has fallen off my left shoe (Sidi Genius 5) and been lost. The manufacturer replaced it gratis the first time, but I can hardly expect this to continue.

Anybody else have this experience with the Kovers? Whether or no, any advice about how to prevent a repetition? It's probably relevant that I push off with my left foot while the right stays clipped in.Keep on Kovers for Speedplay pedals-covers_dark3.png
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Pro
    2005 Specialized Sequoia Elite

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    I had one pop off during my first ride with them. I attributed this to the fact that i was 12 weeks out of knee replacement surgery, and was having difficulty getting in and out of my pedal. The manufacturer sent me a replacement, and I've had no problems since. I did consider using a dab of fast tac to make sure the cover stays secured to the pedal, but I've never needed to.

RoadBikeReview Member

I lost one of mine when I stopped to fix a flat. I didn't notice it was missing until I got home. I did the same loop the next day and there it was lying in the middle of the road (very rural area) in the same area where I had my flat. I pay more attention to them now, especially after stopping during a ride.

More cowbell!
    A couple spots of hot glue should fix that issue.
    DFL > DNF > DNS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Funny this posted today. While gettting ready for a ride this morning I noticed my left cover was missing. I don't even remember losing it. I also put down my left foot more often then the right. Mine where the more expensive "longer lasting version". Was yours the regular version or the upgraged version? I'll have to give Keep On a call and see if they will replace mine.
    2011 - Jamis Coda hybrid
    2013 - Bianchi Ininito

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Im assuming these just protect the cleat?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

I had one pop off my left foot last week when I stopped to pick up a dropped water bottle. Didn't notice until I got home, but found it along side the road later that day when I drove by the spot. This morning the same cover popped off in my driveway when I was leaving for my ride. I'm going to try a few spots of hot glue or silicone adhesive before my next ride. FWIW I have the "longer lasting" covers.

Almost Not a Newbie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tspeters View Post
    Was yours the regular version or the upgraged version? I'll have to give Keep On a call and see if they will replace mine.
    Mine were the upgraded version. They replaced the missing one the first time it happened, but I can't imagine asking them to do it again. OTOH, replacing them at $24 a pop each time it happens doesn't make sense either. As for gluing them on, that makes removing them to adjust cleats, etc., problematic. Sigh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    How often are you adjusting the cleats? And you are epoxying those suckers on, I think some rubber cement or hot glue wouldn't be too hard to separate with enough force.

Almost Not a Newbie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by forge55b View Post
    How often are you adjusting the cleats? And you are epoxying those suckers on, I think some rubber cement or hot glue wouldn't be too hard to separate with enough force.
    Good point, thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

I just used a bit of hot glue on my covers. The glue doesn't stick to either the cover or cleat very aggressively. However, it squeezed into the gaps and seems to have tightened up the fit quite a bit. No problem removing the cover after applying the glue.

Dr. Buzz Killington
    What you should try is using the regular $10 cleat covers and carefully cutting out a hole such that it will lock onto the pedal. That might end up being a better alternative.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Same thing here. Left kover lost twice in 3000Km. I noticed it when I arrived home, and never found them again. Got a replacement for free both times. Still, as this happens so often, I think It might end up more expensive using these kovers than buying new cleats every now and then. Speedplay recommends using shoe goo on the cleats, so that sounds like a better option. Also the regular coffee covers can be trimmmed to be used while pedaling, and they are much cheaper than the keeponkovers.