13 20.63%
  • Time iClic Titan

15 23.81%
  • Speedplay Zero Ti

16 25.40%
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

Keo Blade VS SP Zero Ti VS iClic Titan VS Dura-Ace PD-7900

So Basically I'm looking for a great pedal that satisfies these categories the best

Ranked 1-4, 1 being most important
    1. Quality (bearing smoothness, doesn't crack break from abuse, etc.)
    2. Bling ("o sht you got those pedals!")
    3. Feel/function (clipping in and out, power in hammering and climbing, etc.)
    4. Weight (not too important to me, but still nice to have them light)

-Shimano Dura-Ace PD-7900?
    -Look Keo Blade?
    -Time iClic Titan?
    -Speedplay Zero Ti?

BTW does anyone know where each pedal is "made in"? I know the Keo Blade is made in France, where are all the others made?

-Thanks!

Sleep Expert
    More importantly than the pole, which ones appeal to YOU the most?
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by terminus123
    So Basically I'm looking for a great pedal that satisfies these categories the best

Ranked 1-4, 1 being most important
    1. Quality (bearing smoothness, doesn't crack break from abuse, etc.)
    2. Bling ("o sht you got those pedals!")
    3. Feel/function (clipping in and out, power in hammering and climbing, etc.)
    4. Weight (not too important to me, but still nice to have them light)

-Shimano Dura-Ace PD-7900?
    -Look Keo Blade?
    -Time iClic Titan?
    -Speedplay Zero Ti?

BTW does anyone know where each pedal is "made in"? I know the Keo Blade is made in France, where are all the others made?

-Thanks!
    Shimano pedals are made in Japan. Speedplay are made in USA. Not sure if Time are actually made in France or Taiwan/China although the company is French, obviously.

As for your four categories (subjective though they be)

1. Shimano - cast aluminum, great bearings, go for years without any maintenance, will not destruct in crash. Time are most fragile here - tips break, some problems with bearings, iIclic cleats suck. Speedplay require tons of maintenance compared to all the others but are otherwise robust. Look are generally well made with good bearing quality but cleat longevity isn't great.
    2. Bling - Look Blade or Time Iclic - most bling with new carbon spring technology. Speedplay 3rd due to visible Ti spindle. Shimano last - all function, no bling.
    3. Overall function -Mixed bag here. Easiest entry/exit is close between Speedplay and Time. Both require less force than others to engage/disengage. Speedplay wins for no look, double-sided entry. As for sprinting/climbing - there is no easy answer or clear winner. If you have really big feet, go for a larger platform (Shimano, Time, Look) but otherwise, there are advocates for all of these and no consensus.
    4. Weight - Lightest pedal with cleat: Look, Time and Speedplay are all still lighter than Shimano but this, along with the bling, is a complete non-factor performance-wise.

To summarize, if you want least maintenance and longevity, go Shimano. Bling - Time Iclic or Keo Blade. Easy of entry - Speedplay or Time Iclic. Weight - Look or Speedplay folowed close by Time. Shimano not close on this. Good luck.

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    Pretty much what ^ said.

Regarding weight though is that you should also consider cleat weight. This is often overlooked by the Speedplay advocates. Sure the bike is lighter with you not on it but how much lighter is it with you clipped in?

Power platform would probably give the nod to Shimano.

Also Shimano cleats wear very well while look and Speedplay not so much.

For me I ride Shimano but mainly due to a foot issue and wanting an excellent platform. Speedplays would be on my short list otherwise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    thanks guys, very informational, so far I have now its down to Shimano, Look, and Speedplay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Shimano pedals are durable and reliable, but otherwise heavy and unremarkable. Speedplays are generally good, but finicky, and the only pedal which I've unintentionally un-clipped from. I've never tried I-Clic's, but the cleats have been redesigned and are supposed to be much more durable. I have RXS's and did have a tip break off, but to be honest it was my fault as I did not have the cleat centered when I tried to clip in. The RXS pedals were more of a pure race design than others, and required much more force to clip in, and I think that had a lot to do with the tips breaking off. The I-Clic requires almost no force and the tips are different. I've not seen any breakages with the new design so far. My RXS racers have 19,000 miles on them, and the bearings are fine. I've heard about problems with excess play in the Looks, but I've never owned them so cannot comment beyond that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Well some info about myself, if it helps.

I have only been using Look Keo 2 Max pedals so far so I have nothing to compare them to. I think they are "ok" and are rather durable surviving 3 crashes. Though I do wish the engagement was smoother and disengagement much quicker. Furthermore, I maybe a pedal retard when trying to clip in and out. Furthermore, I'm a climber and I weigh 125lbs.

How much stable platform area does the Time iClic have? and are they durable? (all the other pedals have a steel plate)

RoadBikeReview Member
    No such thing as a best pedal. Only the one that works best for you is best and someone's opinion will never determine that only your personal experience will.
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    thanks guys, very informational, so far I have now its down to Shimano, Look, and Speedplay.
    You just eliminated the best choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    this is getting too hard. How durable is the Time iClic? unlike the other 3 it doesn't have a steel wear plate.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    this is getting too hard. How durable is the Time iClic? unlike the other 3 it doesn't have a steel wear plate.
    In all reality, you'll probably like any of those choices. I've ridden Time pedals for almost two decades. I used to like the Equipe Pros because they had a nice big platform. It was also kind of cool that you could overhaul them. With stiff carbon soled shoes that are around today, a large platform isn't really an issue anymore. All in all, I've found them to be well made pedals.

Does a steel wear plate equal better durability? Is your bike steel? I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally, if there were one I'd toss, it would be the Speedplay. Its got a huge cleat (that they conveniently don't include in the weight of the pedal). I tried them once and they just felt odd to me. But there seems to be plenty of folks who like them.

I've also found that after getting married, having kids and paying half my salary in daycare, that getting the second from the top of the line is more economical. You don't gain much in a titanium axle and everything else is pretty much the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf

I've also found that after getting married, having kids and paying half my salary in daycare, that getting the second from the top of the line is more economical. You don't gain much in a titanium axle and everything else is pretty much the same.

You and me both!!!

Custom User Title
    Well, I voted for what I ended up going with, which was Keo Blade Ti's. I don't have many miles on them, but they are good so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    is there any engagement difference between Look Keos and Shimano SPD-SL?

Menace to Society
    May 2009
    is there any engagement difference between Look Keos and Shimano SPD-SL?

Similar
    But the SPD SL has a bigger platform so you get more support
    Originally Posted by chrdur

the fact remains that you are talking about a niche sport within a niche sport .