Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    fwiw, Sheldon says to never remove the mfg's lube. see below...

Factory Lube

New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain. This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact [well, unless...see below -- John Allen].

Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don't do this!

The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.
    No worries, I'm not removing the mfg's lube..
    Last edited by TricrossRich; 01-02-2016 at 03:46 PM.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp

Forever a Student
    No way.

My lube is better than their lube!
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    If someone can get the supplier for those superior factory lube to sell some to him, he can get a good chain lube business going. Imagine the marketing line, "Same superior lube the chain factory uses..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    If someone can get the supplier for those superior factory lube to sell some to him, he can get a good chain lube business going. Imagine the marketing line, "Same superior lube the chain factory uses..."
    All I know is that "superior factory lube" is as sticky as flypaper and is also a superior dirt magnet.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    All I know is that "superior factory lube" is as sticky as flypaper and is also a superior dirt magnet.
    Agreed. That stuff is nothing but grease. I strip it off first thing by soaking the chain in mineral spirits.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    Agreed. That stuff is nothing but grease. I strip it off first thing by soaking the chain in mineral spirits.
    I wipe a new chain with a rag, put a week's worth of rides on it, and then apply my regular lube.

no issues with dirt accumulation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Here's the broken link. (Yes, I know it's dirty, it's my fat bike)

KMC vs. Shimano Chains? learn me sumtin'-img_1145.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    Nice work! Consider it a testament of your superior leg strength.

Or possibly, you jinxed yourself with your previous remark below:

After 10's of thousands of miles I have never had my own, or seen another rider, have a quick link fail. I have seen poorly installed friction fit pins fail.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Nice work! Consider it a testament of your superior leg strength.

Or possibly, you jinxed yourself with your previous remark below:
    Or he shifted while cranking away up a hill under full power

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    The OMS helps to clean the dirt out and helps get the oil into all the spots. When it evaporates it leaves a thin film of oil on the parts, which tends to collect less dirt than a thick glob of oil.
    I get better results using a separate cleaner and lube. Spraying with WD-40 cleans well without stripping the chain completely. Then I apply the lube of my choice. I have few, and I don't lose any sleep if they aren't perfectly "compatible".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    The rest of the chain looks like it had its share of (ab)use. Perhaps the replacement was overdue?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    The rest of the chain looks like it had its share of (ab)use. Perhaps the replacement was overdue?
    Only about ~300 miles, mostly off road. The pins had no discernible wear. Once cleaned it looked pretty good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Only about ~300 miles, mostly off road. The pins had no discernible wear. Once cleaned it looked pretty good.

That should not happen in 300 miles unless you are a mega-clyde super masher.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    That should not happen in 300 miles unless you are a mega-clyde super masher.
    It's what happens when 215#'s tries to push a 4" tire through 6-7" of heavy virgin snow. Rookie move on my part. Luckily it was in my back yard, so the walk to the garage was not far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Pretty sure KMC makes the high end Shimano chains.

To Shimano's design specs, not theirs.
    It is exactly the opposite. KMC only manufactures Shimano's low-end chains. You can see the exact models listed in KMCs own catalog at E-catalogue_Product_KMC Chain - check out page 10.

There you see all the "Licensed by Shimano" chains they make which include:

CN-4601
    CN-HG73B
    CN-HG53
    CN-HG71
    CN-HG40
    CN-NX10

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    My bike has kmc chain, and I ride almost 2000mile. But it is not stretched yet, according to checking by parktool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I prefer a quick link for chain/drive train cleaning. The new 11 speed KMC quick links say one use only. YBN makes a reusable 11 speed link and it works fine on either Shimano or KMC chains.

KMC seems to have changed their design for the 11 speed to be similar to a SRAM 10 speed power link that is best serviced with a link tool. I have re-used an 11 speed KMC link with no issues. I did really like the 10 speed KMC links that could be installed and removed with your fingers.
    This

The KMC 11 spd. chain is, according to KMC, not re-usable and requires a chain tool to install. I found this out while attempting to use on a Shimano 11 spd. Ultegra chain and could not install by hand.

Thus I was not seeing any advantage over simply using the Shimano replacement pins and a chain tool I already owned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    This

The KMC 11 spd. chain is, according to KMC, not re-usable and requires a chain tool to install. I found this out while attempting to use on a Shimano 11 spd. Ultegra chain and could not install by hand.
    What was the problem? I've installed quite a few and never needed a tool for install, I do to take it apart though. Just put it on the top section of chain and pop the pedal with your hand and it snaps right in place.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoji.triathlon View Post
    My bike has kmc chain, and I ride almost 2000mile. But it is not stretched yet, according to checking by parktool.
    This is very possible. How many miles it takes a chain to wear depends on many different factors like rider weight, rider strength, riding style (whether you're a spinner or a masher), whether you ride only in dry conditions or also in rain and wet roads and dirty dusty conditions, how well you lube you chain, etc., etc.

So as you can see, the big answer to how long will your chain last is.......it depends.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1145.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	311507
    I've had two KMC quick links break on me. The flange broke off one of the pins.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe you're just too strong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    KMC Chain Missing Link - fakes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Did that broken link come with the chain? Was it made in Taiwan or China?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123