RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

Ksyrium Elite vs. Easton Ascent II Wheels

Does anyone have any personal experience with the (lighter but less proven) Ascent II wheelset from Easton? Everyone I know says the Ksyerium wheels are bulletproof, but given I am outfitting a new bike with a lot less weight, and the Easton's weigh 300grams less, should I consider them instead? I will be putting them on my new LaPierre FDJ X-Lite 999, with Campy Chorus. Will be riding the bike in Europe (would one be more easily repaired in Europe than the other), and ride the bumpy roads of Sonoma, lots of climbing and no racing.

Would love to hear your comments!

RoadBikeReview Member
    No experience with either but can't see any good reason to buy either set over some handbuilts if you are not racing. Of the two though, the Ascents don't have enough spokes for my liking, particularly considering how thin the spokes are. Regarding repair, the Mavics are from France so they would get the nod for repairability in Europe by a wide margin considering the Eastons have propriatary spokes.

locomotive1
    Jan 2007
    With a nice frame like that i'd go with the mavics... but not the elites!The elites(i own some) are bomb proof but heavy. Go for the sl's ( own some also) the are just as bombproof , roll oh so much better and are much lighter. if you look around you can pick up 06 models for around $600.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the Ascent II and I love them. I have well over a thousand miles on them and they are as true as the day I got them. For me they are stiff enough and ride very nicely and they are very light. I am not a very hard rider on equipment but they do seem to me to be outstanding wheels. I do agree with with Nessism that the Mavics would be easer to have repaired. I have heard good things about the Orion II and they do not weigh a whole lot more, might be a good compromise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

apples and oranges...

You're comparing a top of the line Easton wheel to a second tier and much cheaper Mavic. I think the weight difference is also wrong. The Easton weights are without skewers, while the Mavic weight include skewers. The real weight difference is much less.

The Mavic would be easily serviced, but as others noted, a good handbuilt would be the most easily serviced.

All I wanted was a Pepsi!

I have both

My 2003 Mavic K-Elites have been absolutely bomber. I trued the rear once after I stuck my foot in the wheel at 20 mph and bent a bunch of spokes. Otherwise I'm pushing 4k miles on them and haven't even serviced the hub!

I also have a set of 2006 Ascent IIs and they have been fine. Much lighter, of course (enough to feel on the bike, even) and no problems with reliability despite some big pothole hits. They have about 1-1.5k miles and I like them a lot as well.

FWIW, I have had many more reliability issues with a set of custom wheels than any of the mass-produced sets.

Given that you're in Europe, I would go with Mavic, and bike as nice as the one you're getting deserves at least some SLs.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I had some Ascent IIs for a while. I weigh 165-170 and they were constantly at the LBS being trued. They looked nice, but were too fragile for me. I now use Ksyrium ES and haven't had a moment's trouble with them. I think the hubs are better quality as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    I've had the Ascents w over 3k miles on them. Broke a spoke once, but otherwise they've stayed true, a good wheel, light.