Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Larger Cassette

  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    74

    Larger Cassette

    Hey guys, I am a formerly in shape biker that needs a new cassette. Back when I was in shape, I changed my cassette to an 11-25. Well now I would like to climb some hills again, and until I trim the extra tire that has formed around my waist hills are not going to happen. Can someone tell me what the largest cassette I can move up to with a Shimano 10sp rear derailleur? The bike came with a 12-28 Tiagra cassette, but I would like to move up to a 30 or 32 (if one exists). Thanks for the help.

  2. #2
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,478
    simple search shows Shimano makes a 12-30...

    Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 Speed Road Cassette | Chain Reaction Cycles
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    90
    There's a Tiagra 4600 11-32 10 speed

    I have one on my commuter bike, it works fine

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,168
    You didn't say which 10-speed rear derailleur you have. Is it a short or mid cage? Also a Tiagra? Do you have a triple or a double on the front? All these make a difference

    If your RD is a mid-cage and you have a triple in front, you can go up to a 30T cassette.

    If your RD is a mid-cage and you have a double in front, you can go up to a 32T cassette.

    If your RD is a short-cage, then no-can-do. You will need to buy a mid-cage RD before you can go larger than a 28T cassette.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,745
    It really depends on your bike (the hanger, maybe chain stay length). What shimano says is conservative and there's a good chance you can use bigger than they say.
    It's a case of 'you won't know until you try' if you go over the specs.

    Do you already have a compact crank? If not I'd suggest that because it won't become obsolete when/if you get in good shape like a 32 cog might. Cost a lot more off course though.

  6. #6
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    simple search shows Shimano makes a 12-30...

    Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 Speed Road Cassette | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Quote Originally Posted by riccardo123 View Post
    There's a Tiagra 4600 11-32 10 speed

    I have one on my commuter bike, it works fine
    Both of you need to stop giving advice. You don't even know which derailleur the OP has, how in the hell can you tell him what cassette he can use?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    90
    Well, I'm sorry for my incomplete answer. I thought that a bike supplied with 12-28 would have mid cage... I certainly wasn't trying to mislead anyone.

    50-34 compact, 11-32 10 speed, all Tiagra 4600, works.

  8. #8
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,478
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Both of you need to stop giving advice. You don't even know which derailleur the OP has, how in the hell can you tell him what cassette he can use?
    never said it would work for him, simply showed that a 30T is available.

    if you have to gripe, direct your comments at the OP for not supplying adequate info regarding his RD.

    without details, it's up to him to figure out compatibility.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,036
    His specific question was "what is the largest cassette his system can move to?". Not what cassettes are available. And in cx's defence (not that he needs any) if the op just slaps a 30 on and it's out of range for his Rd config, the damage when attempting to shift into the 30 could be significant.

    Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,168
    Quote Originally Posted by goodboyr View Post
    His specific question was "what is the largest cassette his system can move to?". Not what cassettes are available. And in cx's defence (not that he needs any) if the op just slaps a 30 on and it's out of range for his Rd config, the damage when attempting to shift into the 30 could be significant.
    Only if the chain is too short would there be significant damage. And I presume the OP would at the very least run the bike through all the gears before riding it. Or at least I hope so. If it binds in the large/large combo, he would find that out before he gets on the bike, rips the derailleur and stay off the bike and possibly injures himself.

    That being said, even if the chain doesn't bind, if the derailleur isn't suited for such a large cassette gear, shifting will be clunky and the pulleys will clash against the gear teeth causing premature wear and a lot of noise. Turning the B-adjust screw all the way in may help a bit, but is really a Band-Aid on a broken leg approach.
    Last edited by Lombard; 03-16-2017 at 05:23 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  11. #11
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    10,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If your RD is a short-cage, then no-can-do. You will need to buy a mid-cage RD before you can go larger than a 28T cassette.
    Not necessarily. Depending on your frame, it's entirely possible to go 30T on a short cage RD. Lot's of people do it.
    Only way to know though is to try it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Only if the chain is too short would there be significant damage. And I presume the OP would at the very least run the bike through all the gears before riding it. Or at least I hope so. If it binds in the large/large combo, he would find that out before he gets on the bike and rips the derailleur and stay off the bike and possibly injures himself.

    That being said, even if the chain doesn't bind, if the derailleur isn't suited for such a large cassette gear, shifting will be clunky and the pulleys will clash against the gear teeth causing premature wear and a lot of noise. Turning the B-adjust screw all the way in may help a bit, but is really a Band-Aid on a broken leg approach.
    -Because damaging it on the work stand wouldn't be a problem?

    -Wrong. If it works it works and depending on the overall picture there's a good chance it will.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    268
    .....

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    -Because damaging it on the work stand wouldn't be a problem?
    Ummm, common sense says you would exercise care when shifting to that largest combo while in the stand - translate: SLOWLY. After shifting, turn the crank SLOWLY and don't turn against any resistance. Finding out if it binds is not rocket science.

    I really didn't think I needed to explain this, but as I have stated before, maybe common sense isn't so common.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    -Wrong. If it works it works and depending on the overall picture there's a good chance it will.
    It may very well work. That doesn't mean it will work well.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,125
    If the idea is to get back into shape, rather than pick up where you left off and i assume attack the old steep hills with easier gearing why not simply go up hills that are less steep and work towards the goal of climbing the harder inclines later in the season. relatively easy and safe to take off two pounds a week using a combination of diet and exericse. done it many times.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,745
    It would really be nice if you would stop pretending you know what you're talking about when you don't but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

    -Damage can happen when shifting if the chain/hanger/der combo isn't right to allow it. Pulley wheels turn you know. the speed in which someone turns the chain doesn't matter. But even if you're right that would make your statement even more foolish. Baby in the stand when no harm can be done (according to you) then get on the road and really test it?

    -Using a 30 works well for plenty of people. You shouldn't say it won't as a rule because that's just wrong.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    It would really be nice if you would stop pretending you know what you're talking about when you don't but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

    -Damage can happen when shifting if the chain/hanger/der combo isn't right to allow it. Pulley wheels turn you know. the speed in which someone turns the chain doesn't matter. But even if you're right that would make your statement even more foolish. Baby in the stand when no harm can be done (according to you) then get on the road and really test it?

    -Using a 30 works well for plenty of people. You shouldn't say it won't as a rule because that's just wrong.

    Really a heavy handed mouthful here even if it made sense. It doesn't. So who looks foolish now?

    So you are saying a 30 will work for many people even with a short-cage derailleur? And if the chain length was for anything less than a 28, I really hope you wouldn't just assume it's going to work without changing the chain. If you were, all I can say is best of luck to you, you're going to need it.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    It would really be nice if you would stop pretending you know what you're talking about when you don't but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

    -Damage can happen when shifting if the chain/hanger/der combo isn't right to allow it. Pulley wheels turn you know. the speed in which someone turns the chain doesn't matter. But even if you're right that would make your statement even more foolish. Baby in the stand when no harm can be done (according to you) then get on the road and really test it?

    -Using a 30 works well for plenty of people. You shouldn't say it won't as a rule because that's just wrong.
    going from a 28 from a 25 is a 12% benefit, but from 30 over 28 is an additional 7%. You might not find you want to go past 28. I found that on local climbs the 28 works for me. my gravel bike is a compact with a 32 and I don't feel I benefit from it. The only time I felt I wish I had a 32 was on doing some monster climb like I did last summer climbing ventoux when there were times I cursed out my semi-compact and 28 combination(but I made it up!)

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Really a heavy handed mouthful here even if it made sense. It doesn't. So who looks foolish now?

    So you are saying a 30 will work for many people even with a short-cage derailleur? And if the chain length was for anything less than a 28, I really hope you wouldn't just assume it's going to work without changing the chain. If you were, all I can say is best of luck to you, you're going to need it.
    No need for me to address the first comment. your MO of speak now learn the facts latter is pretty well documented already.

    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Many people do use that combo with no problems. It depends on the hanger mostly.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    going from a 28 from a 25 is a 12% benefit, but from 30 over 28 is an additional 7%. You might not find you want to go past 28. I found that on local climbs the 28 works for me. my gravel bike is a compact with a 32 and I don't feel I benefit from it. The only time I felt I wish I had a 32 was on doing some monster climb like I did last summer climbing ventoux when there were times I cursed out my semi-compact and 28 combination(but I made it up!)
    What I meant by works for plenty of people was mechanically speaking. I wasn't trying to make ratio recommendations.

  21. #21
    ngl
    ngl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    564
    To the OP: you (with your bike) may want to visit your LBS for some assistance with this. They will help you pick the right cassette and make sure it's installed correctly. You haven't provided near enough information on your bike and set-up for any of us to help.

  22. #22
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    It would really be nice if you would stop pretending you know what you're talking about when you don't but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

    -Damage can happen when shifting if the chain/hanger/der combo isn't right to allow it. Pulley wheels turn you know. the speed in which someone turns the chain doesn't matter. But even if you're right that would make your statement even more foolish. Baby in the stand when no harm can be done (according to you) then get on the road and really test it?

    -Using a 30 works well for plenty of people. You shouldn't say it won't as a rule because that's just wrong.
    You know there is a good reason that Shimano specs the max cog for an SS derailleur at 28, right? If their legions of engineers got the spec wrong by 2 teeth I'd be amazed. You can easily test this in the stand just as Lombard explained. You go slowly and if you run into the type of problems that would keep the derailleur from working properly you STOP before you damage anything. Way safer than trying it on the road.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,745
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You know there is a good reason that Shimano specs the max cog for an SS derailleur at 28, right?
    yes because they are very conservative. As is smart for them to be. That doesn't change that many bikes are just fine using more that 28 with a short cage.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GRAVELBIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    507
    Wolftooth RoadLink works well for extending a Shimano road mech's range.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    74
    Phew, I apologize for creating a thread that became so heated. I went to my LBS yesterday and quickly found that Shimano "made" a Tiagra 4600 12-30 for my Shimano 105 RD. Interestingly enough, it is no longer available and I had to order it on Ebay. I will be treating my LBS mechanic to a four-pack of rootbeer tonight as thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lengthen chain when switching to a larger cassette?
    By azpeterb in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 07:51 AM
  2. Smaller cassette or larger chainring?
    By Lovinglifetx in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM
  3. compact crankset v. larger cassette...
    By Steve3667 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 02:52 PM
  4. Can I go to a larger gear in the cassette?
    By Brone in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 11:05 PM
  5. Going to a larger cassette?
    By Toddm in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •