RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017

left and right shifters

Have a long term left hand injury affecting range of movement, and have real difficulty changing up to the large chain ring. Was wondering whether there were shifters where the large chain ring is operated from the right shifter and the rear gears from the left. Would still like front brake to operate from the right. My gear is a late model Shimano Ultegra 11sp mechanical. The other much more expensive option is to upgrade to electronic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I don't think so.

Another option might be to change gearing so you don't need to shift up front. Or at least cut down on how often it's needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Would a downtube shifter be any easier? I'd think most frames could take one.

If not possible with your left hand, you could still shift with you right hand even with the shifter on the left.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Would a downtube shifter be any easier? I'd think most frames could take one.

It's not pretty, but you could still shift with you right hand even with the shifter on the left.
    I had thought of that but didn't think most frames do, however now that I think about it there's bar end shifters to consider also. Ultegra 11 speed is pretty 'light touch' so I'm not sure it'll be easier though. But perhaps it will if it creates better ergonomics for working around the injury.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Di2. Should be no problem for you to shift.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I had thought of that but didn't think most frames do, however now that I think about it there's bar end shifters to consider also. Ultegra 11 speed is pretty 'light touch' so I'm not sure it'll be easier though. But perhaps it will if it creates better ergonomics for working around the injury.
    If you went with a bar end shifter you could work both shifters with your right hand. Bar end for the front and brake lever for the rear.

Or you could go with a 1x11 drive train or maybe a sub-compact crank like a 46x30. A 46x30 crank with an 11-23 or 25 cassette could be ridden as a 1x11 with a granny. You'd be cross chaining lrg\lrg more than some would like, but you wouldn't be needing to be front shifting much, except in extreme conditions.
    Too old to ride plastic

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I built a bike for one of our Para girls that used a standard right shifter, a bar end shifter on the right and a splitter for the brakes on the right lever. She raced the crap outta that bike for 2 years.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    The big ring shift with Campy Ergo is made on the inner lever, ergonomically the same as the lever used to go big ring to small on a Shimano. A thumb lever is used to go big ring to small. Maybe that would work better for you.

I am something of a Luddite as far as bike tech goes, but a friend of mine has arthritis is his hands and is thrilled with electronic shifting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    This isn't exactly minimal range of motion, but different motion - use a bar end shifter (on either side) or use an old fashion mtb thumb shifter in friction mode.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    As a devoted Di2 user, that would be my first choice.

The second option would be to consider the new Ultegra fd-8000 front derailleur. I havn't used one, but from the reviews I've read, the force required to shift is substantially less than the fd-6800.
    Last edited by Migen21; 08-16-2017 at 04:20 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I built a bike for one of our Para girls that used a standard right shifter, a bar end shifter on the right and a splitter for the brakes on the right lever. She raced the crap outta that bike for 2 years.
    Pics of the setup? Pleassseeeeeeeee?

Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Pics of the setup? Pleassseeeeeeeee?
    I don't have any. I checked her FB but it wasn't loading. It was a SRAM Red right shifter and a bar end shifter on the right. As I remember we used the hydro rim brakes so a brake line came out of the lever and went into a splitter then to both brakes. If I can get in touch w/ the rider she might have some photos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I don't have any. I checked her FB but it wasn't loading. It was a SRAM Red right shifter and a bar end shifter on the right. As I remember we used the hydro rim brakes so a brake line came out of the lever and went into a splitter then to both brakes. If I can get in touch w/ the rider she might have some photos.
    What was on the left side as a place holder? A blank shifter?

Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    What was on the left side as a place holder? A blank shifter?
    Exactly, she hooked her 'hook' prosthetic around the lever body. Still looking for photos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Look into e shifters either sram or Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for all the help. First thing I'll try is a new Ultegra FD-8000 front derailleur, then if that doesn't solve it I'll glue a rubber block on the outside of the shifter to try and reduce travel. Third option is a TT bar end shifter, though I'm not sure if I'd hit that with my knee when out of the saddle. Final option is Di2 which I'm sure is an acronym for "Di"vorce and the $2k+ NZ dollars quote I've had for the upgrade.