RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Lightweight brake questions and advice

Hi all. I'm building up a new bike and was hoping for some advice on brakes.
    When I last built a bike up, about 6 years ago, I ran and loved the Bram M5 brakes. They seemingly haven't had demand, as they're impossible to find. I have emailed them directly and have yet to hear anything, and there seems to be no brakes available online. Anyone have any leads on who might stock them? Anyone trying to part with some??

Secondly, general consensus on the KCNC CB3 seems to be positive. Would anyone be able to comment on how the level feel is with them? I prefer a positive, solid/snappy feel from brakes. Could you compare the overall modulation and power to Dura Ace 9100? Or, probably hoping too much here, the M5 brakes?

Based on what I'm looking for, is there another recommendation I should look more closely at? Thanks for reading and any help!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    EE, who's now owned by Can Creek, makes the closest you can come to dura ace in a weight weenie brake.

Forever a Student

120g for the pair.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    My vote is EE, I remember mine being around 160gr w/o pads. A little heavier than the Fibulas, but WAY less expensive and the stopping power is phenomenal. They replaced a pair of BR-9000 (Dura Ace) and I couldn't tell the difference in power or modulation, even at my weight - 215lbs.

Off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    My vote is EE, I remember mine being around 160gr w/o pads. A little heavier than the Fibulas, but WAY less expensive and the stopping power is phenomenal. They replaced a pair of BR-9000 (Dura Ace) and I couldn't tell the difference in power or modulation, even at my weight - 215lbs.
    My recollection is that EE's run close to $600; Fibula's close to $1,200.
    Two weeks ago I bought a pair of BR-9000's new for around $190.
    This weight without pads is slightly misleading. Sorta like weighing a bike without pedals.
    My guess is the EE's save about three ounces over the 9000's. I got more bang for my lightness buck with wheelset/tires. Like saving one pound.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    That's just they way the brakes are weighed, in my experience even the 9000s achieved advertised weight with pads removed, been awhile since I had mine though...
    Your right about the weight, I want to say it was close to 110gr. As for the cost, no regrets. There were things about the DA brakes I absolutely did not like, it was worth the expense for me. Plus, they got installed on an S-Works frame, it's not like brakes are the point where I'm going to start spending wisely ;-)

Off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    That's just they way the brakes are weighed, in my experience even the 9000s achieved advertised weight with pads removed, been awhile since I had mine though...
    Your right about the weight, I want to say it was close to 110gr. As for the cost, no regrets. There were things about the DA brakes I absolutely did not like, it was worth the expense for me. Plus, they got installed on an S-Works frame, it's not like brakes are the point where I'm going to start spending wisely ;-)
    My 9000s on my home scale weighed 290g, including pads and fixing nut. Not much difference from their advertised 294. So it appears they combine everything to get to their number.
    Both Fibula and EE exclude pads and fixing nut. Maybe somebody can weigh these pieces. Guessing about 75g. This narrows the gap somewhat, but I admit the 9000s are boat anchors - relatively speaking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    My EE's are 165gr with all hardware, I've still got the pic from when I installed them. My Black Prince pads are 24gr for a set of 4 making a total of 189 gr for a complete pair. I guess I'm a little dyslexic in my memory, 101gr difference, not 110gr, still that's significant for something as small as brakes.
    My primary complaint with the DA brakes was interestingly enough addressed by Shimano in the 9100 set, a reinforcing bridge between the two pivot points. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I didn't think the 9000s were very stiff. They stopped well, but they just felt 'off' compared to the set of 7900s they replaced. They also had a weird habit of getting leaves stuck between the arms in that giant gap, another thing resolved with the addition of that reinforcement bridge. It seemed like I was constantly fishing debris out of them. And my last complaint, the roller in them was not stainless and rusted in a matter of months leading to a crunchy feeling during engagement. Shimano denied this was an issue, but in a coastal (Bay Area) region I beg to differ and I see and feel it in all my customers bikes. I don't know if that last issue has been addressed. There was no mention of it last time I was in the Irvine HQ. I guess time will tell as I start seeing 9100 bikes come back in for service.
    Anyways, I'm picky about my gear and the EE's have checked all my boxes.

Edit - I found a pic of my EEs with Koolstop Salmons installed from my old wheelset, 185gr complete. A 4gr difference with a pad change. This is why I think it makes sense to advertise weight without pads. It's like showing a bike weight with pedals, everyone uses a different set and the weights vary. The brakes are weight weenie territory and their target market cares about 4gr.
    Last edited by rcb78; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:43 AM.