Oh hai there

Lightweight RD, anyone seen this?

I did a quick search and no one had posted on it so here it is.

The Lightweight Rear Deraileur 120 carbon mortgage payment replacement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    That strikes me as a really really bad idea.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    A few questions:
    1. Does it work?
    2. Does it work well - asy as well as a Record, Dura Ace, etc?
    3. What's it compatible with?
    4. Will it stay in adjustment more than 100 mi.?
    5. Will it last longer than 500 mi.?
    Don't believe everything you think.

Team American Classic
    Wow! I am guessing that a pretty expensive piece....

monkey with flamethrower
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    A few questions:
    1. Does it work?
    The person who buys this product has far more dollars than sense and will not care about any of the aforementioned questions.
    Chances are, I posted this drunk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    My guess would be No to all of the above.

Oh hai there
    It is a definite "look what I got" item. The site says it is compatable to Campy and Shimano, so it most likely works for both but not very well for either.

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    A few questions:
    1. Does it work?

one more:
    6. How does it look when that cheesey "Lightweight" sticker is removed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    That product is made by (I believe) Cycle Exotica. Their website is down.

http://www.cycleexotica.com/

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Heinz Obermeyer's German company now called CarbonSports makes that derailleur. "Leightweight" is the trade name of all their products. The company is best known for their climbing ("do not use when descending") wheels, and (unfortunately) their patent wars with the Dutch wheel builder Cees Beer, who owns ADA wheels.

http://www.carbonsports.com/
    Last edited by wim; 01-03-2008 at 10:20 AM.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    6. How does it look when that cheesey "Lightweight" sticker is removed?

That will remove all the bling the product has to offer. How much for just the sticker?

Larry Lackapants
    Quote Originally Posted by de.abeja

For me it looks like a marvellous piece of equipment. Of course I can't afford it but then, I can't look at it when I'm on the bike so.. it is better of as PC wallpaper for a few days

I really like it when some manufacturer takes his chance with drivetrain parts - the last "exotic" der i've heard of was the tiso -
    BTW, has anyone tried out an old suntour (VX?) der on a modern drivetrain? it seems it's got the sme pace as shimano.. would I only be able to get a new cage on that, to be able to benefit from 11T pulleys and bring the upper pulley closer to the sprockets...
    Sigh...
    "There are only 3 motivating factors that change human behavior; pain, fear or ambition. Which button do you want to press?" Steve Hogg

Larry Lackapants

..more about the lightweight

Quote Originally Posted by de.abeja

Hello,

got some more about it here:
    http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-7034791.html

It says there it's compatible with either simano or campy by 2 distinct positions to fasten the cable to. (it's shown in the last picture)
    neat ..
    "There are only 3 motivating factors that change human behavior; pain, fear or ambition. Which button do you want to press?" Steve Hogg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    The more important question is how much does that LW sticker weigh?

I think the answer to all those questions would be yes. The only parts that the chain touches are the KCNC Al pulleys so wear would be no worse than any other Al pulley, and I've had carbon jockey wheels last several thousand km no problem. They've been working on the design for more than a year since they bought the idea from Carbon Crew before the 2006 Eurobike so I expect it to work every bit as well as their wheels.

The one question not asked is what happens when you crash to the right. That combined with a $1000 pricetag would worry me.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by terzo rene
    The more important question is how much does that LW sticker weigh?

I think the answer to all those questions would be yes. The only parts that the chain touches are the KCNC Al pulleys so wear would be no worse than any other Al pulley, and I've had carbon jockey wheels last several thousand km no problem. They've been working on the design for more than a year since they bought the idea from Carbon Crew before the 2006 Eurobike so I expect it to work every bit as well as their wheels.

The one question not asked is what happens when you crash to the right. That combined with a $1000 pricetag would worry me.
    Yes, it apparently does work well. The word on the performance of the Carbon Crew variant was pretty good. The KCNC pulleys also do well. I have oversized KCNC pulleys on my Record RD and have put about 4-5000 miles on 'em. They shift as well as the Campy pulleys, and they're no more loud. The tone is slightly different, though.

It is expensive, but so are a lot of other things. It would look better without the decal, but that's easily solved.

Larry Lackapants

Screws instead of rivets?

On the 3rd 4th and 5th look at that der, I start worrying about the screws being used to hold the paralellogram in place, instead of riveted bolts as on usual deraillers.. supposed one gets loose during a ride..
    nah this won't happen..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Screwed

Quote Originally Posted by brblue
    On the 3rd 4th and 5th look at that der, I start worrying about the screws being used to hold the paralellogram in place, instead of riveted bolts as on usual deraillers.. supposed one gets loose during a ride.
    Uh, Campy Record uses screws as well. I guess that's a bad design too? Or is this just totally idle speculation on your part?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Gulp....that's 750 euros=$1105 USD.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Uh, Campy Record uses screws as well. I guess that's a bad design too? Or is this just totally idle speculation on your part?
    No, it's a bad design. Actually, while I was typing this, my Record RD exploded.

See?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Larry Lackapants
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Kerry, Yup I'm speculating because of the nuts sticking out on the downside of this derailler.. those nuts do not seem to exist in case of record (might be wrong though, don't have any campy parts, judging only by the pictures)

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a .12 lb savings over my SRAM for only $1000 more! That's $8300 per pound saved. I'm all for R&D but once you get near UCI weight restrictions, there has to be a safer (and cheaper) area to play with. It does look the part!

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar836
    That's a .12 lb savings over my SRAM for only $1000 more! That's $8300 per pound saved. I'm all for R&D but once you get near UCI weight restrictions, there has to be a safer (and cheaper) area to play with. It does look the part!
    Explain how it's unsafe to screw around with an RD?
    God forbid it explodes and you're stuck in one gear! Oh jeez, riding home with a singlespeed... that's not very safe at all...

Dude, these parts aren't for 6.8 bikes, they're for sub6 bikes. If your bike weighs 11 pounds and you want to get it to 10.9... Why not? And for that matter, once they're that light... that's what you pay to save weight.
    "It's hard to tell the poison from the cure, so enjoy the disease."
    -Mohair_Chair

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dude, almost sounds like an argument with the expectation of parts that are likely to fail. I suspect the thing is planty strong BTW, I just can't afford the math.
    BTW, didn't mean to offend but you have me pegged. I, personally, would not like to ride home 60 or so miles on our hills (one is short but 14%) with one speed - especially after I paid that much for a part - so I would agree - yes, God forbid. And safety as an issue? Remember drillium? Good to a point but there's a reason Campy didn't sell it that way. Also, if a high speed DR failure ("explosion" as you put it) could ever be called "safe," it would just stop shifting and you're magically left with a $1100 chain tensioner, fine for a casual cruise on a 11lb poser bike. But if it "explodes" in a high speed sprint, I would suspect it wouldn't be so benign. Hardly just an expensive inconvenience. Granted, I'm not that experienced nor do I have such toys but I've had something as simple as a missed shift in a downhill sprint (not with the SRAM) nearly throw me over the bars.
    Thought we were just spit balling here.......... but I'll stick with my rationale.
    BTW, I can modify your alloy rear DR to be even lighter than 119g but you wouldn't ride it........ well maybe you would. ;)