RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Little problem with new' (NOS) 7-speed HG cassette

Well, I finally got around to replacing my chain and cassette after 4600 miles. I have Ultegra hubs with the little spacer which is required when using a 7-speed cassette on a 8/9 speed hub. When I tried to install my NOS 7-speed cass, the locknut wouldn't thread on because the cassette was sitting 'too high'. Seems the new cassette's three rivet heads protrude beyond the big cog's surface, much more than my OEM cassette's rivets. The OEM cassette's rivet heads were kinda 'flathead' style, if you know what I mean.

So my question: should I drill three pockets in the spacer for the rivet heads so the cassette's largest cog sit flush against the spacer? I kinda hate to do this because I think pocket needs to be at least half of the spacer's thikness. If anyone else had this problem and better yet, a solution, I'd surely be grateful to hear your story.

thanks,

JT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Rivets

Quote Originally Posted by Hobart
    Well, I finally got around to replacing my chain and cassette after 4600 miles. I have Ultegra hubs with the little spacer which is required when using a 7-speed cassette on a 8/9 speed hub. When I tried to install my NOS 7-speed cass, the locknut wouldn't thread on because the cassette was sitting 'too high'. Seems the new cassette's three rivet heads protrude beyond the big cog's surface, much more than my OEM cassette's rivets. The OEM cassette's rivet heads were kinda 'flathead' style, if you know what I mean.

So my question: should I drill three pockets in the spacer for the rivet heads so the cassette's largest cog sit flush against the spacer? I kinda hate to do this because I think pocket needs to be at least half of the spacer's thikness. If anyone else had this problem and better yet, a solution, I'd surely be grateful to hear your story.

thanks,

JT
    I've created clearance in the spacer, ground off the rivet(bolt) heads,and even removed them.All seem to work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

Are you sure they are rivets?

A while back I was changing my 7-speed cassette, and with pliers I unscrewed what I thought were rivets. They were actually screws and I was able to pull them all out. That doesn't mean yours are not rivets, just something to try.

guidosan