RoadBikeReview Member

LOL.Symetric boss thinks round chainrings ruined Wiggins

Did Switch From Osymetric Chain Rings Cost Wiggins Power? - BikeRadar

The owner of Osymetric, the French company making ovalised chainrings, claims Bradley Wiggins has lost power – and a mental edge – by switching back to standard rings.

Jean-Louis Talo said that Wiggins (Team Sky), who recently ruled himself out of a defence of his Tour de France crown with a knee injury and illness picked up at the Giro d’Italia and who has swapped back to circular Shimano Dura-Ace chainrings, could have lost up to 30 watts since the switch.

Asked if he was trying to recruit more riders to use the equipment, which he claims eliminates the dead spot in the pedal stroke, he said: “For me it’s incredible that I have to spend so much time explaining so simple a thing [the concept].

"I want to open minds, but I don’t want to spend my time trying to convince people to understand,” he said.

This morning, Carsten Jeppesen, head of operations at Team Sky, denied the claim any pressure was bought to bear on Wiggins’ decision to switch back to Shimano Dura-Ace rings.

Jeppesen said: "Bradley has moved away from them because he didn’t feel they were giving him what he was after, it was nothing to do with pressure. A true winner, if he wants something, will get away with it.”

He added: “[There isn’t] any evidence that this gives you this [advantage], so it’s up to the rider’s feel.”
    I am in agreement with what Rotor is doing with their Q-Rings, but this guy and O.Symetric's utterly exaggerated shape never made sense to me. This absurd claim threw credibility out for me.

Poor Contador, Cancellara, Tejay, Cav, Nibali missing out on their 30 watts this year.

Slightly Opinionated
    http://www.noncircularchainring.be/p...elease%202.pdf

There's the study he refers to in one of the articles.

Interesting that there's no commentary on competing interests or description as to who funded the experiment.

Furthermore, there's a problem with their methods in considering the hip a fixed pivot point: it varies based upon your pelvic position on the saddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Matnlely Dregaend
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    http://www.noncircularchainring.be/p...elease%202.pdf

There's the study he refers to in one of the articles.

Interesting that there's no commentary on competing interests or description as to who funded the experiment.

Furthermore, there's a problem with their methods in considering the hip a fixed pivot point: it varies based upon your pelvic position on the saddle.
    The major problem is that it doesn't seem to have been published in any journal. Calling it an "article" is technically incorrect. It is a piece of writing... The biased abstract alone would make me reject it for publication, but then again I review dental articles, not engineering ones. As to the content, they didn't test anything, they just used a mathematical model. This is one of the tell-tale signs of fibbing.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Brifter" is the coolest cycling word

AM999's Liberal Facist

Re: LOL.Symetric boss thinks round chainrings ruined Wiggins

Seems like Osymetric's sales of snake oil are lagging.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I love Osymetric snake oil! It's the only chain lube on the market which enables zero friction drivetrains. Put some in your hubs for perpetual motion!

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    The major problem is that it doesn't seem to have been published in any journal. Calling it an "article" is technically incorrect. It is a piece of writing... The biased abstract alone would make me reject it for publication, but then again I review dental articles, not engineering ones. As to the content, they didn't test anything, they just used a mathematical model. This is one of the tell-tale signs of fibbing.
    I'd hesitate to even consider their outcomes on the mathematical models. They're making some pretty big assumptions that are tough to model without actual experimental evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Customer to shop owner, "Do you sell chainrings that come in funny shapes?"
    Shop owner, "That depends if you think round is funny."
    Don't mind me, it's just the online disinhibition effect typing.