RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

longevity of chainrings

So I had a recent tune up to my bike and they diagnosed my rear shifting problems as some accelerated wear caused by mixed parts not playing well together. Ok, fair enough, I said, what about the chainrings, and my LBS guy said they were fine. He said the chain was showing about 75% wear but the cass was shot. I replaced both of those, and he told me the rings were good for another 5k miles, at least. Fine with me, usu I'm skeptical when they tell me about things I have to change sooner rather than later, but just wanted to double check with some higher milage riders and see if that sounds right, thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Chainrings last a lot longer than cassette sprockets. Load is spread over a lot more teeth. Perhaps a more serious engineering type here can expand on that.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I'm certainly not an "engineering type," but I can tell you that I got close to 50,000 miles from a Campy Record crank & chain rings. I'm pretty anal about cleanliness & maintainence.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Chainrings last a lot longer than cassette sprockets. Load is spread over a lot more teeth. Perhaps a more serious engineering type here can expand on that.
    plus they spin less
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
    So I had a recent tune up to my bike and they diagnosed my rear shifting problems as some accelerated wear caused by mixed parts not playing well together. Ok, fair enough, I said, what about the chainrings, and my LBS guy said they were fine. He said the chain was showing about 75% wear but the cass was shot. I replaced both of those, and he told me the rings were good for another 5k miles, at least. Fine with me, usu I'm skeptical when they tell me about things I have to change sooner rather than later, but just wanted to double check with some higher milage riders and see if that sounds right, thanks
    Chain rings last far longer than chains or cassettes but if you let your chain elongate too much you will chew up chain rings much faster, particularly if they are aluminum.

I'd love to hear the explanation of how you experienced "some accelerated wear caused by mixed parts not playing well together." I'm having a hard time with that.

Fecal indicator
    I've gotten at least 40K miles out of a set of DuraAce 7400-series rings. and I don't even change the chain that often (6-8K miles).
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Replacing mine at ~12Kmiles. The small ring is getting the shark fin effect (non-symmetrical tooth profile). The big ring is worn less, and it's a lot harder to tell with the normal complex sculpting of it's teeth. You can pull on the chain where it goes around a ring and see how far you can pull it off to gauge wear. The teeth on the rings are longer than those on the cassette, so they have to be very bad before they'll skip.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Replacing mine at ~12Kmiles. The small ring is getting the shark fin effect (non-symmetrical tooth profile). The big ring is worn less, and it's a lot harder to tell with the normal complex sculpting of it's teeth. You can pull on the chain where it goes around a ring and see how far you can pull it off to gauge wear. The teeth on the rings are longer than those on the cassette, so they have to be very bad before they'll skip.
    yes, replace and stay off the small ring ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks all, I just wanted to check it out, I just spent 300$ I wasn't expecting to, and didn't want to waste it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    I'd love to hear the explanation of how you experienced "some accelerated wear caused by mixed parts not playing well together." I'm having a hard time with that.
    Oh, sure, I bought an ultegra spec bike except for a 105 cass. Nothing wrong with that, but it's hilly here and it was a 12-25, so I replaced it with an 11-27, in a burst of wt wiennieness I dropped a sram red in there (I think I got a deal too). Which was total plug and play, I didn't even have to trim the rear dee, but 3k mile and here we are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Oh, sure, I bought an ultegra spec bike except for a 105 cass. Nothing wrong with that, but it's hilly here and it was a 12-25, so I replaced it with an 11-27, in a burst of wt wiennieness I dropped a sram red in there (I think I got a deal too). Which was total plug and play, I didn't even have to trim the rear dee, but 3k mile and here we are.
    Just to be absolutely clear: that was NOT "accelerated wear caused by mixed parts not playing well together."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Some chain rings (generally cheaper ones) can be flipped 180 degrees to double their life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks all, I just wanted to check it out, I just spent 300$ I wasn't expecting to, and didn't want to waste it.

Playing devils advocate for the LBS,,, how worn was the chain when you put the new cassette on? Mixing and matching brands doesn't matter in the slightest, but putting a brand new Red $$$ cassette onto a worn chain is asking for problems...

A guy was recently in our shop with something very similar, possibly a little more extreme. He threw a brand new Red cassette onto a bike he picked up used with a chain that was shot, over 1/8" elongation. He swore it would be fine. I said ok and have a nice day. Those two parts did NOT play nice together.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Playing devils advocate for the LBS,,, how worn was the chain when you put the new cassette on? Mixing and matching brands doesn't matter in the slightest, but putting a brand new Red $$$ cassette onto a worn chain is asking for problems...

A guy was recently in our shop with something very similar, possibly a little more extreme. He threw a brand new Red cassette onto a bike he picked up used with a chain that was shot, over 1/8" elongation. He swore it would be fine. I said ok and have a nice day. Those two parts did NOT play nice together.
    Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I bought the bike new and swapped the cass after <100 mi.