wannabike
    Dec 2006

Look Keo Sprint or Shimano Ultegra SL Pedals?

I am buying a new bike and need to choose pedals. I can get either Look Keo Sprint or Shimano Ultegra SL for about the same price. I can also get Campy Centaur, so please add them too your advice

My bike is an Orbea Orca with Campy Centaur components.I am a recreational rider, and I live in an area with lots of rolling hills, some as steep as 15% grade. So I end up standing up on the pedals to climb.

I'd appreciate any advice on which type to buy. My shoes will accommodate either type of cleat.

Thanks.
    Last edited by seattlesyclist; 09-23-2008 at 06:05 AM.
    [FONT="Arial"][/FONT]seattlesyclist

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    They're pretty close. There's positives and negatives to both, but most people are happy with either on they choose.

But, putting Shimano pedals on a Campy bike is sacrilege. Go for the Looks.

wannabike
    Dec 2006

What about Campy Centaur Pedals?

Would they be a better choice?

I also forgot to add that I use Sidi shoes, and I've heard that the Shimano cleat bolts don't fit Sidi shoes that well.

Thanks.
    [FONT="Arial"][/FONT]seattlesyclist

Steaming piles of opinion
    I'm going to lead off with advice you didn't ask for...

Option D. As far as I'm concerned, double-sided systems beat the snot out of the old ski-binding style. I'd rather hear this question as 'Speedplay or Crank Bros?' I get sick of soft-pedaling after a stop, while all the Look and Shimano users are staring at their feet instead of heading down the road. OK, so I overstate it, but there is no arguing that double sided designs are faster and easier. I'd also argue that they float more appropriately, both in range and in pivot location.

Now, for the advice you did ask for:

On bike, Look and Shimano are as similar as not to matter. Based on some personal use and listening a lot in the group, I believe the Shimano cleat is easier to live with. Better built pedal, IMO. Somehow I'd rather have a metal bodied pedal, and judge the 60 or so grams to be worth it.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    The Keo Classic weighs less and costs ~1/2 of what a dura ace pedal costs. I have three pairs on various bikes and really like them. The Sprints are a step up from the classics and should treat you really well. I honestly believe all are good options.

For style points though, I might choose the campy parts, just to match the rest of the bike.

Hoffman

Lexicon Devil
    I had a set of Ultegra SPD-SL pedals and after putting tons of miles on them, and wearing them out, I got some Look KeO Sprints, because my bike is Campy. Y'know, because you can't mix and match. ;) The Looks are nice, are light, but the SPD-SL pedals seemed easier to clip into and the cleat itself held up better. I hardly walk on my cleats, but already, the small rubber tips on the KeO cleats are gone.

One time I had to walk home four miles in my cycling shoes when I had my old Ultegra pedals on the bike. The Shimano cleats looked like hell afterward, but they still worked the trick. I replaced them to be safe, but only after a couple of weeks and lots of hard training rides. I have the feeling the KeOs would have been destroyed if I tried such a thing with them.

If I decide to get new pedals, I'm getting some Ultegra SLs, even if the bike they're going on is Campy-equipped.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both the 105 and dura-ace in the new incarnation.
    Tough and bullet proof.
    Not as easy to get into as my Time RSX were, but the
    fixed cleat works wonders for my knees. Or you could
    do as Danl1 suggests, sacrifice about 100 grams and get
    the excellent 520 MTB pedals. Entirely different play
    feel though, though much simpler in use. Great for beginners.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    In defense of the Keo Sprints -- it's what I use and I wouldn't change them. They're really well built. The old cleats used to be slippery when walking in them, but they fixed that awhile ago. They're a lot cheaper and lighter, too.

I say no to "option d" of putting double-sided pedals on an orbea. It's just like putting shimano on campy. They're both sacrilege.

If you bought a fast "race" bike, then don't turn it into a touring bike.