RoadBikeReview Member

Looking for a "sticky" cleaner/degreaser

I really like to keep my bikes - mountain and road - very clean. For years, I was convinced this is why my stuff lasts so long. But a couple months ago, I had a ceramic bearing in a derailleur fail - pretty much locked up. There's no way to determine why one bearing failed, but I have to wonder if my liberal use of degreaser was the culprit. In January, I put an SRM on the road bike... yeah, now I'm really hypersensitive to what/when/how I clean stuff.

With most sprays - citrus degreasers, etc - they run immediately. For most cleaning outside of bikes, I guess that's a good thing. But I don't want the degreaser dripping... penetrating... So, I always spray the brushes - not the component. But still, it drips, runs, etc.

Wondering if anyone's using a cleaner/degreaser that runs less - maybe it foams more? Don't know... May have to just walk the isles of Target, Home Depot, LBS...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    pedros pro j. i am always suspect of clean bikes. i always look for corrosion elsewhere. check the cable stops, bolts, other crevices for rust.

Re-Cyclist
    Simply do not spray any cleaner directly on to the bike. Spray on to a rag and then wipe. No drips or penetration into cracks or bearings.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes View Post
    Simply do not spray any cleaner directly on to the bike. Spray on to a rag and then wipe. No drips or penetration into cracks or bearings.
    ^ that ^ works well for rags. And, that's how I clean the frame, chain rings, etc. But for the drivetrain - cassette & chain specifically - a brush works so much better than a rag. And the brush allows the cleaner to drip.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm with reptile; your OCD is doing more harm than good. If you really want the chain and cassette that clean, take them off, clean with solvent in a separate container, and thoroughly dry before re-lubing and re-installing. That way you don't have stuff dripping where you don't want it. That brush isn't really getting inside the chain, anyway; only immersion can go there.

But it's overkill, IMHO. Wiping the chain with a solvent-moistened rag, and flossing the cassette with same, is enough for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs View Post
    pedros pro j. i am always suspect of clean bikes. i always look for corrosion elsewhere. check the cable stops, bolts, other crevices for rust.
    I'll give Pedro's Pro J (?) a shot - thanks. And yeah - too much cleaning leads to other problems such as those you pointed out. Every week (okay maybe month) or so, I do a bit of an inventory and touch up any bolts, cable stops, etc. with a bit of lube or grease. The place that is notorious for rust - and often overlooked - is under the seat. Seats (not saddles ;-) ) still use steel screws in the assembly... and they rust... fast!

waterproof*
    Everything wears out eventually. I don't sweat it; that's just the cost of ownership. For me, less time futzing around with bike stuff = more time available to enjoy life.

Therefore:

Bike-Washing Tips From Experts | Bicycling Magazine
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess my want for a "sticky" degreaser wasn't crazy...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    IMO, the Spin Doctor cling-on degreaser isn't that good. Yes, it clings, but it seems to spread the grease and funk around more than it removes it. I think that, because it's so tacky, it's hard to fully remove the residue. I find myself reaching for the Simple Green or citrus stuff more often than the purple Spin Doctor stuff.

+1 on too much cleaning being as bad as not enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 on cleaning that only serves to removes superficial dirt and drives grit into bearings and pivots or removes lubricant.

Re-Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    ^ that ^ works well for rags. And, that's how I clean the frame, chain rings, etc. But for the drivetrain - cassette & chain specifically - a brush works so much better than a rag. And the brush allows the cleaner to drip.
    I've never brushed lots of cleaner onto my cassette. I use a rag that is damp with cleaner and fold over the edge and run it back and forth between the gears (wheel removed). You've really got to stop slobbering on huge amounts of cleaner on your bike. My bike is immaculate and I only use rags. Except on the chain where I use the Park cleaning gizmo. And, I wear nitrile gloves.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site