I play for keeps

Low stack pedal shoe combo

I'm tall. 6'5"

I've been fine tuning my setup and I'm looking to upgrade Shoes and pedals in the next few months.

Since it isn't a data point that has a standard for comparison I'm having to compile it on my own, or maybe some of you have already done the work.

Based on what the RBR forum peeps know, what shoes/pedals should I be looking at for the lowest stack height?

Sleep Expert
    I believe Speedplay pedals have the lowest. As for shoes, I have no idea. I do want to know why this would be important though?
    My carbon footprint has cleats

I play for keeps
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    I believe Speedplay pedals have the lowest. As for shoes, I have no idea. I do want to know why this would be important though?
    I need every advantage I can muster at my height to lower my profile in the wind. I'm very flexible and I already run an aggressive position but every mm helps. Lower stack = lower seat height.

Is the pedal stack height going to make much difference? No. But i'm in the market for new shoes/pedals so I'm going to take the opportunity to improve my situation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    MTB SPDs can have a pretty low stack height. Mine are 13 mm from the sole of the shoe to the axis of the pedal. They're also light, under 300 gm for pedals cleats and screws. Most roadies look down their noses at SPDs but I like em.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    MTB SPDs can have a pretty low stack height. Mine are 13 mm from the sole of the shoe to the axis of the pedal. They're also light, under 300 gm for pedals cleats and screws. Most roadies look down their noses at SPDs but I like em.
    Interesting. My SPD pedals and MTB shoes have quite a bit higher stack height than my Time RXS pedals and road shoes. I've used both pedal/shoes on both bikes and have to raise the saddle a good 1/2 cm w/ the SPDs.

OP: somewhere I actually saw a listing of pedal stack heights. It might be on the Speedplay website. My memory tells me that like someone said, the Speedplay pedal/cleat is the lowest. I can't remember the details, but I seem to remember Times were maybe the next lowest? Don't trust that info at all, but you might be able to find the chart somewhere.

If course, shoe sole and insole thickness come into play too.

That said, I also seem to recall that the differences between the popular pedals (SPD, Speedplay, Time, Look, Shimano SPD-SL, etc.) was measured in just a very few mm's, maybe 3-4 mm at the most, which, to me, is not nearly as important as the pedal itself. I understand wanting to get the saddle down, but will 1/8 inch make a difference that is more important than the actual features of the pedal itself?
    Last edited by Camilo; 04-06-2012 at 11:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Speedplay pedals paired with a four hole (Speedplay) shoe made by Sidi, Lake, DMT, etc. will be your best bet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    Interesting. My SPD pedals and MTB shoes have quite a bit higher stack height than my Time RXS pedals and road shoes....
    Yeah. I have some SPDs that are a few mm higher.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Key point

Quote Originally Posted by vagabondcyclist View Post
    Speedplay pedals paired with a four hole (Speedplay) shoe made by Sidi, Lake, DMT, etc. will be your best bet.
    To get the lowest stack height you do have to pair Speedplay pedals with "Speedplay specific" shoes. Otherwise the thickness of the adapter will make them pretty similar to "standard" pedals.

The Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    : somewhere I actually saw a listing of pedal stack heights. It might be on the Speedplay website. My memory tells me that like someone said, the Speedplay pedal/cleat is the lowest.
    this sounds familiar to me as well. as though speedplay was making a point of demonstrating their lowest-ness, by listing the heights.
    K$

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Can't help with the pedals but for shoes, Bont are on the low end for stack height. However, I don't think they come standard in 4 hole though I recall seeing some 4 hole options on their web site at one point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Giro road shoes have a lower stack height compared to Sidi and Specialized. I recall when they first came out last year those of us that bought a pair had to drop the saddle height.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    Giro road shoes have a lower stack height compared to Sidi and Specialized. I recall when they first came out last year those of us that bought a pair had to drop the saddle height.
    That's true, when I switch to Giro Factor from my Shimano SH-R133L I needed to drop my saddle height by around 5mm.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    If you commit to a 4 hole shoe then you also commit to Speedplay. I am not a fan of speedplay just because of the too loose float feeling. Your going to have to try Speedplay before making that commitment. Stack height is not as important as finding a shoe that fits your foot and pedals that fit your style of pedaling.