RoadBikeReview Member

Mavic Zxellium vs. Zxellium Ultimate

I realize that some people may not be too keen on these shoes because of the color, but for some reason I'm hooked on them and am looking at getting a new pair. After looking at the two models from the title (Zxellium and Zxellium Ultimate), is there really and difference other than $150 between them? After looking at the product descriptions I can't justify spending that much more, unless somebody here has had experience with these shoes and could shed some light on the matter.

If anyone could also help out a little bit with sizing because nobody stocks these shoes in my area. I'm currently running 44.5 Specialized and have a somewhat wide foot.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I got Zxellium about 2 months ago and based on my research, only difference is the weight. I was wearing shimano 44.5 and got UK11 (45-1/3) and I find it a tad big If I had to buy it again I would have gone with 44-2/3. I also have wide feet and that doesn't seem to be problematic with these soft shells on Mavic. However I am still tweaking the bottom with wedges because I can't seem to find configuration that doesn't hurt my feet. I think it might be because shoes are a little big. Also I am noticably putting more force on my feet when I am wearing these (hammering more easily) so that might amplify the problem. I have relatively flat feet so I tend to have more problem with new shoes and regular people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone else have any knowledge about the difference between these two shoes?

Bianchi-Campagnolo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Stiffer shoe

Had a few friends who tried it out and they say it is a much stiffer shoe compared to the Regular Zxellium.

I have used the SIDI Ergo 2 prior to changing to Mavic Zxellium and can say that the sole in the Mavics are much more flexible. If anything, the Ultimates are meant to be stiffer. Still, the SIDI Ergo 2 are stiffer. That's what my frens say.

But Mavics are much more comfortable. Performance-wise though, the SIDIs win hands down.

Just my honest opinion. In the end, it doesn't really matter to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrob239
    I realize that some people may not be too keen on these shoes because of the color, but for some reason I'm hooked on them and am looking at getting a new pair. After looking at the two models from the title (Zxellium and Zxellium Ultimate), is there really and difference other than $150 between them? After looking at the product descriptions I can't justify spending that much more, unless somebody here has had experience with these shoes and could shed some light on the matter.

If anyone could also help out a little bit with sizing because nobody stocks these shoes in my area. I'm currently running 44.5 Specialized and have a somewhat wide foot.

Thanks!
    Like you, I got hooked on the color!! I went the Huez due to the fact I got a great deal on them. The pictures on line don't due the color justice!!! Although, I do wonder how hard it will be to keep them looking that nice.

For sizing, I wear a 12 in Sidi, but got a 11.5 or a 46 in the Mavic and they fit wonderful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Well I own the Zxellium Ultimate, however I'm not really sure how much it differs from the regular zxellium. It is one darn stiff shoe though. BTW you don't have to get the ultimate in that obnoxious yellow it is also avaialble in full black, which is another reason to get the ultimate