RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014

Microshift Centos 10sp shifter - Installation question (problem)

So I got the shifters and I'm having a bit of an issue with the installation. They got on the bars just fine and brake cables went in fine as well. The instructions are super sparse to the point of being annoying.

Problem:

On both sides I shifted down to the lowest cog by pressing the thumb button several times. It seemed to me that there was a fair amount of resistance when doing this. I then inserted the cable and ran it to the rear derailleur for the right shifter, and that run went fine. Now however I have two issues; a) it's borderline impossible to move the 'up'-shift lever and the down shift button, b) the actual shifting cable barely moves.

On top of that it seems difficult to even push the cable back out.

If anyone has any experience with shifters in general or Microshift specifically I'd love to hear if you have any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this. I would assume there's a way to adjust things but like I said, there's just one sparse sheet of paper in the box and nothing else to find so not much there for me to go off of....

thanks in advance,

m

PS: Their "instruction manual" (which I followed):

http://www.microshift.com.tw/wp-cont...Lever-R5XX.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Btw, the left shifter will "click" both with the paddle and button, i.e. up/down. However, there's almost zero pull on the cable when I do this. It barely moves.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Sounds like a misthreaded cable. Youtube has a couple of installation videos that may be useful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    My experience has been that the shifters are much harder to shift than Ultegra. It also helps to grip the shifter as if you are riding rather than moving the shift lever from the side if it is on a stand. Make sure the cables are threaded properly too. I used Ultegra type cables rather that the cables Microshift included. The thumb tab shifter takes a considerable amount of effort to shift.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Thanks guys.

I very much appreciate your help!

I actually made a mistake when installing the shifter cables. I thought I had downshifted all the way before inserting the cable, but turns out I hadn't. I wouldn't have expected that I could insert the cable, close the housing and use the shifter with it not being properly installed, but it is indeed possible. So the shifters worked eventually but without any pull on the cable.

As soon as I redid that properly I got everything to work. I had issues getting sufficient tension initially, but once I did I was able to set it all up. Looking forward to testing the bike out with this new setup.