Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    hard to tell from the pics, but do any of those shifters route cable under the wrap? Doesn't appear so

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_mac84 View Post
    hard to tell from the pics, but do any of those shifters route cable under the wrap? Doesn't appear so
    No, they're like the first four generations of Shimano STI.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Gotta say, the white stuff looks pretty slick.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    No, they're like the first four generations of Shimano STI.
    There is a video on youtube showing the installation. They disconnected the cables and unscrewed the shifter from the handlebar. You can use the same mounts and cables. Nothing could be easier.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    i used to ride a felt z6 with micro shift shifters and the felt very good , as good as 105 imo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
    There is a video on youtube showing the installation. They disconnected the cables and unscrewed the shifter from the handlebar. You can use the same mounts and cables. Nothing could be easier.
    My reply was to answer the question of whether the shift cables were under the tape or not. They are not, like Shimano used to be.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    My reply was to answer the question of whether the shift cables were under the tape or not. They are not, like Shimano used to be.
    Sorry, I should have said that first. My point was that they are a direct swap for Shimano. Hence the shift cables are exposed not under the tape like Campy.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry, I should have said that first. My point was that they are a direct swap for Shimano. Hence the shift cables are exposed not under the tape like Campy.
    Shimano's are now under the tape. Sachs and Modolo used to make under tape Shimano compatible shifters as well. I guess I don't follow.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Did you say 50/30 chainrings?

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Shimano's are now under the tape. Sachs and Modolo used to make under tape Shimano compatible shifters as well. I guess I don't follow.
    Other than aesthetics, does it really matter where the cables are?
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11

RoadBikeReview Member
    Other than aesthetics, does it really matter where the cables are?
    Not to me. But hidden cables should be more aero. I don't think hiding the cables was worth turning the Shimano shifters into the monstrosities they currently make.

For the price, I'd choose Microshift's external over 105 or even Apex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LandShark'n View Post

The Verdict
    It's too early to tell, as I have barely any miles on the MicroSHIFT components, but for the first 150 miles, I have not been disappointed. I was curious what my biking buddies think of the group and I waited for comments. Nothing. Not one word. I finally had to tell them about the set up and one guy figured I was riding Shimano. I guess at first glance, maybe...maybe it could be mistaken. I will put the group through its paces at an upcoming race in two weeks as well as the Assault on Mt. Mitchell where it's most important to have access to all the gears I can pack. Let's hope MicroSHIFT doesn't let me down.

Thanks for reading.
    It's been a little over a year since the original post. An update or final thoughts on this set would be awesome.

I just started building up a bike with SRAM Force but I have a friend who's looking to try out cycling and I figured these would be perfect for his budget.

Wanna go for a ride?
    Micoshift hasn't let me down even after 6 months of all-weather commuting. I have Ultegra on my other bike, and while the shifting is different, either one suits me well.

Wal*Mart is now carrying MicroSHIFT online...

Wanna go for a ride?
    I haven't been on the bike for a couple months now as I've been recently diagnosed with Graves disease and Hyperthyroidism. You wouldn't think such a tiny gland could completely devastate your ability to ride a bike. I thought at first I was simply bonking.

Last night I rode a 4 mile circuit on the MUP with my little girls. Riding in a 34 x 25 gear took all I could give and I was left this morning tired and sore. Ugh.

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Yes indeed; I have even more kilometers now on my road bike with Microshift, plus I put it on my cyclocross bike and have hammered it on trails, in pouring rain, and ultracross racing. It's never let me down and is still solid as can be. Would Buy Again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Mine has held up great. Like I said before, I'm not convinced the front derailleur is a good value (price/weight). But, the whole setup works great, even after hard rain, roof racks and a drop or two. Last time is was in Performance, my levers were on sale again for $130/pr.

Paul

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the response. Helps a lot to know that the parts last.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. My dad had something similar and had to cut down a lot on his golfing (he refuses to take a golf cart and can only walk 9 holes...after that he's sore for a few days) but he's since gotten into fishing and billiards and couldn't be happier. I thought it would be terribly difficult for him because he was a really good golfer and spent quite a few days every week on the golf course.

I'm not very knowledgeable on your specific ailment but I read up a bit on wikipedia...is there much of a chance of overcoming it and getting back into cycling again or is it something you'll need to modify your lifestyle for like my dad did?

Wanna go for a ride?
    Thanks for your genuine concern and sharing your father's experience. I see an endocrinologist this week to determine what the treatment will be. As far as I know, once I get it under control, I should be able to resume my physical activity. I'm hoping that I am feeling better this year, because I'd love to be back on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    hi, great piece. who is the U.S. distributor? thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    FWIW, shifter cables under the bar tape is all bad, IMO. More cable drag and faster cable/housing wear which leads to less consistent shifting. And it's more difficult to install and service.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    thanks looigi....my Ultegra 10spd drive train has never worked smoothly even after being adjusted by several mechs and new cables for 2 years. plenty people tell me that they have had no problems. I'm ready to return it to the on-line store and get this microShift. my old 9 spd stuff is still flawless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spokenwald View Post
    Performance (Forte) carries a line of them but if you can wait a short while VeloBuild is selling them direct from China (I think they're shipping from China).

Anyway, it's their top-tiered group and weighs about the same as Shimano stuff:
    VeloBuild.com - Chinese Carbon Fiber Bicycle Frames for Road, Mountain, Cycle Cross and Time Trial for DIY Do it Yourself Bike Builders and Group Buy - MicroSHIFT Arsis mini Group

The lower tiers will likely be a little cheaper but I doubt you'll find a better price for this one since it's a group buy direct from China.

I'm going to end up getting Microshift for my next bike (likely a touring/cross bike--really want a Surly Ogre with drops and a road group).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Meant to say CANNOT GO WRONG

jordo_99, thanks for your reply and info.
    I'll see how long i can wait.
    FYI...from my experience having owned and ridden 2 Surley LHT's, you can go wrong with Surly. A bit heavy, but for the price and quality, they're as good as any top line or even custom bike. You'd have to spend 4-5 x's as much to drop 2 lbs. UNLESS.....you go for a Habanero Ti.
    I went for a custom Ti Habanero for my monster cross frame and it's a beauty. Lighter than many and rides like a dream. Beautiful workmanship and great ease and totally individual service from Mark and Steve.
    Last edited by spokenwald; 03-14-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: BIG TYPO

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    I saw the group on amazon for $260.

Now it's higher: Amazon.com: Microshift Arsis Group Set (Carbon/Black): Sports & Outdoors

Still, $380 for two shifters and two derailleurs is not bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    jordo_99, thanks for your reply and info.
    I'll see how long i can wait.
    FYI...from my experience having owned and ridden 2 Surley LHT's, you can go wrong with Surly. A bit heavy, but for the price and quality, they're as good as any top line or even custom bike. You'd have to spend 4-5 x's as much to drop 2 lbs. UNLESS.....you go for a Habanero Ti.
    I went for a custom Ti Habanero for my monster cross frame and it's a beauty. Lighter than many and rides like a dream. Beautiful workmanship and great ease and totally individual service from Mark and Steve.
    Thanks. I'll definitely check them out.

FWIW, the Surly Ogre is a cross between a road touring frame and a 29er mountain bike...so I'd almost certainly need to go custom to get something similar.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast