RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Niterider MiNewt.350 or 600 cordless?

Looking at getting either of these two niterider headlights, is the 600 just overkill for riding in the street at night or is the 350 lumens enough? I thought you needed higher lumens for mountain biking on trails at night... what do you all think?
    Last edited by Joemero; 11-01-2011 at 10:04 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Hey Joemero. I just started biking to work and riding at night, so take this with a grain of salt. Veterans please weigh in

I bought the Planet Bike Blaze and have it on the front of my bike. When I leave for work, the sun is JUST starting to rise, so its "okay". Now, this weekend I went out much earlier and wanted to test it out.

On my bike, it was alright. Anything above 15mph and I was having trouble seeing further out. I have night vision issues, so for me its harder. (I know, Vitamin A&D...next time). Then I put it on my head to see if there is any difference. the only difference was that it was easier to see where I was looking, but now I had a dark area in front of my bike.

Going down a bridge at 20+MPH in total darkness with the Blaze was not cutting it for me. I came home and ordered the 600 cordless. My plan is to put the 600 cordless on my bike and the Blaze on my head.

My thinking is I'll have the "high" available if I need it, but I have been reading that the "Medium" setting is also very good and bright. The Blaze on my head will provide that extra I need when glancing around me or spot checking in dark areas.

I figured that the lumens setting would not be 100% as advertised, so, if the 600 is at a minimum twice as bright as my Blaze, then it should work as I expected. I am a fan of "paying a little more to get a little more".

I am sure others will weigh in, but me I opted for the 600 that I "could" approx scale back to the 350 if that was good enough. Then at times where I need the brighter light, it was available.

Good luck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get the 600, for the difference in price it's hardly worth buying the 350. I commute just fine using a Light & Motion Stella 300, but if I could have gotten 600 lumens for $20 more, you bet I would have gotten the more powerful light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got the MiNewt 250 and have been using it a while now. I use it as my "to see" light, mounted on my helmet. I also use a Planet Bike Blaze 1 Watt on my handlebars in strobe mode as my "be seen" light.

I ride out in the suburbs on roads with little or no street lights or building lights, and find the 250 to be very adequate -- and I use it on the medium power setting most of the time, though sometimes I use full power.

I like having the MiNewt on my helmet so I can check both sides of the road for deer, point the light around curves and corners before my bike is pointed that way, and also to use like a "Mars" light on a train near busy intersections -- to keep motorists from coasting through stop signs and nailing me. I highly recommend the helmet mount.

So, I would think the 350 would be perfectly fine for road riding.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2 View Post
    Get the 600, for the difference in price it's hardly worth buying the 350. I commute just fine using a Light & Motion Stella 300, but if I could have gotten 600 lumens for $20 more, you bet I would have gotten the more powerful light.
    Oh, I agree -- if it's only $20 more, may as well go with the 600.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I also have some night vision issues. I was using the Planet Bike Blaze 1w and recently upgraded to a Cycolite Expilion 350. While it's much brighter than the previous light, it's not really enough for me (it's my poor vision, not the light). Get the 600.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I love the 250 and think the 350 would be great. But for the 20 extra bucks, I would go with the 600. You can always vary the amount of output and you get quite a bit of life on a charge at the lower settings (though I have not compared the battery life of the two units.
    Last edited by rgordin; 11-01-2011 at 08:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    i have both the 350 and the 600. i would go with the 600. for $20 extra you get the helmet mount, and a light that you can still turn down to get longer battery life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Get the 600, especially since the price difference is minimal. I run a dinotte 600 on my handlebars and a minewt 250 on my helmet. In late afternoon, i run the 600 in flash mode and i've had people tell me that it caught their attention. The 250 on my helmet lets me direct light at cars before they back out of parking spaces or pull in front of me. You'll also find the 600 will give you more confidence at higher speeds since you can see further down the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Ok, so I received it last night. I left early for work this morning to try it out. I had it on my handlebars with the Blaze on my head. I was AMAZED at the light it put out and Medium. It was A LOT brighter than my Blaze at High. A lot more light, more spill and MUCH better for me. I had no issues seeing the road, side of the road and cars could really see me. I noticed them actually stopping for STOP signs coming out of side streets and letting me go, probably thinking it was a motorcycle...lol...Anyways, no regrets buying one.

Good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by g0tr00t View Post
    Ok, so I received it last night. I left early for work this morning to try it out. I had it on my handlebars with the Blaze on my head. I was AMAZED at the light it put out and Medium. It was A LOT brighter than my Blaze at High. A lot more light, more spill and MUCH better for me. I had no issues seeing the road, side of the road and cars could really see me. I noticed them actually stopping for STOP signs coming out of side streets and letting me go, probably thinking it was a motorcycle...lol...Anyways, no regrets buying one.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the info...willl get the 600!

RoadBikeReview Member
    How does the 600 feel mounted to a helmet? It looks relatively big/heavy compared to a light where the battery goes in your back pocket (e.g. the cygolite 350)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomatic73 View Post
    How does the 600 feel mounted to a helmet? It looks relatively big/heavy compared to a light where the battery goes in your back pocket (e.g. the cygolite 350)
    The helmet mount they give you is VERY nice. Now holding this in my hand and also holding the Blaze in my hand....personally..I would not mount the 600 on my helmet, It is quite a bit heavier.

Now if you want to build your neck muscles, then go for it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g0tr00t View Post
    The helmet mount they give you is VERY nice. Now holding this in my hand and also holding the Blaze in my hand....personally..I would not mount the 600 on my helmet, It is quite a bit heavier.

Now if you want to build your neck muscles, then go for it
    I have the MiNewt 250, but haven't seen the MiNewt 600 in person. Is it much bigger in size than the Blaze, or just heavier?

My 250 is heavier than my Blaze, but not much larger.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Bummer, I have 4 pictures of the Blaze next to the 600 newt, but can't post them yet <10 posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Guess you could go to the Podium Girls section and post "She's hot!" on 3 threads. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    I have and love the 600. I would go that route.
    2013 Cannondale Evo HM with SRAM Red and SiSL2 Cranks
    2010 Madone Project One 6-Series SRAM Red
    2010 Fuji D-6 Pro TT SRAM RED
    2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29er Carbon 2
    2012 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge962005 View Post
    I have and love the 600. I would go that route.
    Thanks...I just ordered the 600...will let you know what I think as soon as I get it in about 4-5 days!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the MiNewt 750 and it is a great light. I usually ride with it on the "medium" brightness. I get about 3 hours of 500 lumens and that is enough that I cannot outrun the visibility. My thought is that the brighter, the better.

The 600 will most likely serve you better than the smaller lamp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Here are some quick comparison "size" shots with my junky cell phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MiNewt.350 or 600 cordless?-one_cleaned.jpg   MiNewt.350 or 600 cordless?-two_cleaned.jpg   MiNewt.350 or 600 cordless?-three_cleaned.jpg   MiNewt.350 or 600 cordless?-four_cleaned.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    i hate to hijack this tread but I just bought a Magic shine 900 for $90.00 and it puts out way more than these lights. You may want to look into the Magicshine lights

Cpark
    I debated between two about a month ago and settled for a 600 series.
    I like it a lot.
    The reason why I bought 600 over 350?
    600 has a bigger capacity battery.
    So, if you run less than the highest setting, 600 will hold the charge longer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both the 250 (bought first) and the 600. The 250 goes on the helmet, the 600 on the bike. Unbeatable combination. The 600 has lower power levels you can choose and will do everything the 250 will do and MORE. In this area the price is very close.

I'd get a 600.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiorick View Post
    i hate to hijack this tread but I just bought a Magic shine 900 for $90.00 and it puts out way more than these lights. You may want to look into the Magicshine lights
    I have 4 Magicshine MJ-808s that claim 900 lumes. Francois, over at MTBR, tested them last year they put out around 40 lux on his meter. The Niterider MiNewt 600, picked up 2 from the LBS for $120 each, measured 50 lux on his same lux meter. The MJ-808 has a tighter hot spot and larger halo. The MiNewt has a much larger hor spot that transitions smoothly to the halo, which is smaller than the MJ-808 halo. The MJ-808 weighs around 315 grams complete where as the MiNewt is 190 grams. Running on high the MJ-808 will go another hour (if you have good batteries) compared to the MiNewt. For commuting the medium setting is plenty, though. In my opinionio the MiNewt is a better light for road riding. It also works well for trail riding when used in conjuction with another light. I use a Foride (measured 118 lux on Francois's meter). Oh, lastly, if you catch a Nashbar 20% discount you can get the MiNewt for $104.