RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

Mixing Shimano and SRAM drive train on Road Bike?

Here is the present set-up on my 2002 model year road bike. I am going to have to spend some money on this to get the shifting back to where it should be. I have a 9 speed Road Bike with a triple Shimano Ultregra crank. The middle cog is used the most, and it the noisiest. I have a Rear Shimano 105 derailleur and the cassette on the back is a Shimano 12-25 that is probably worn and needs replaced with a new chain. The chain I have is a SRAM 9 speed with the quick master link. I want to stay with something that has the power link- so Shimano chain (unless I purchase some other brand master link) is out. I am thinking of going with the following:
    New Shimano SG 42 chain ring in the middle up front. A SRAM PC-951 or maybe PC-971 chain (any big difference between these in life or reliability???) and a SRAM 12-26 rear cassette.

So any reason that the parts should not be mixed?
    Last edited by RShea; 08-04-2012 at 12:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    it is best to use a cassette that matches the rear derailleur. sram rear derailleur, sram cassette. for years i have been using shimano crankset and sram rear derailleur/cassette. seems like i have less problems with sram then shimano for derailleur/cassette. i also switched to a kmc x9.93 chain which i very happy with. it is cheaper, more reliable and has the quick master link called (the missing link)
    http://www.kmcchain.us/kmcproduct.as...id=32&ssid=585

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Sram cassettes and chains work with Shimano systems and vice versa. Shimano cassettes and chains are often quieter than Sram ones.

I use kmc chains with Shimano and Sram, and they work well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ernb View Post
    it is best to use a cassette that matches the rear derailleur. sram rear derailleur, sram cassette.
    Not true. Levers and derailleurs have to match of course, but beyond that any combination (properly adjusted) will work together just fine.

Were I you, I'd get a KMC chain (quick link, quiet, shifts well), a Shimano ring (to match the others) and whatever cassette was cheapest. I am not a fan of SRAM chains... others seem to shift better, and I've had several broken PC-1s.
    Last edited by dookie; 08-05-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    I run a Shimano cassette with my SRAM Rival drivetrain. Perfect shifting. With Shimano chain, SRAM chains just seem to break all the time!
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Lots of votes for KMC chains. I'll ask if the local shop have them in stock. If not sure they could order one with the rest of the items I'll need. I do not need this stuff tomorrow or anything, just soon. I think I'll stay with Shimano for the chain ring, SRAM 12-26 for the cassette, and a KMC chain if savings is possible.

For all that commented on the KMC chains- what is your average miles on 1 before replacement?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I use a shimano cassette with my sram force derailed and red shifters works better than a sram cassette and is quieter and smoother shifting

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    it is best to use a cassette that matches the rear derailleur. sram rear derailleur, sram cassette.
    No way! SRAM derailleurs are not compatible with Shimano indexed road shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943 View Post
    No way! SRAM derailleurs are not compatible with Shimano indexed road shifters.
    Who said they were?
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    it is best to use a cassette that matches the rear derailleur. sram rear derailleur, sram cassette. for years i have been using shimano crankset and sram rear derailleur/cassette. seems like i have less problems with sram then shimano for derailleur/cassette. i also switched to a kmc x9.93 chain which i very happy with. it is cheaper, more reliable and has the quick master link called (the missing link)
    KMC USA
    I think my bikes are going to expode...

I have Shimano shifter/derailleur/crank/chaing rings, with a SRAM Cassette (and a KMC Chain)....

on my mountain bike.... SRAM Shifters, SRAM rear Derailleur, Shimano Cassette & front derailleur & KMC chain
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I used SRAM chains with a Shimano drivetrain for a long time on a mountain bike I was using mostly as a commuter. LBS convinced me that SRAM chains are more durable. I liked that I could take it off via the master link to clean it. Then one day I did an ugly shift on a steep incline, and the master link went flying off into the brush. After about 20 min of searching, I gave up and walked home. Lessons learned:
    1. Shimano drivetrains work best with Shimano chains.
    2. Pedal "reeeal gentle-like" if you wanna downshift on a steep uphill.
    3. Carry a chain tool in your tool kit
    4. Don't rely on master links.

As always, your results may vary.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    LBS convinced me that SRAM chains are more durable
    I bought a SRAM fixie/SS chain for my fixie. Snapped within 250 miles. I now have a Diamondback chain that works much better . Quieter too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    i've used a DA7800 cassette on a force drivetrain to great effect, with both shimano and SRAM chains.

Climbs like a sprinter...
    I don't think I've seen a single picture of a WorldTour bike that is SRAM Red equipped that ISN'T running a DA cassette. I have SRAM Red (and Force on another bike) and I run a DA chain and cassette on it. it is much quieter than the Red cassette and 4090 chain.
    "It's turtles all the way down."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxhacksaw View Post
    I don't think I've seen a single picture of a WorldTour bike that is SRAM Red equipped that ISN'T running a DA cassette. I have SRAM Red (and Force on another bike) and I run a DA chain and cassette on it. it is much quieter than the Red cassette and 4090 chain.
    What? How about on Peter Sagan's bike

Quote Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
    What? How about on Peter Sagan's bike

OK, let me qualify "Before SRAM redesigned the Red Cassette, I don't think..."

Upon closer inspection of your image that looks like a DA cassette. See the little holes and cut outs? A cut out is clearly visible in the cog just above where the chain is intersecting the seat stay so I stand by my original statement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Upon closer inspection of your image that looks like a DA cassette. See the little holes and cut outs? A cut out is clearly visible in the cog just above where the chain is intersecting the seat stay so I stand by my original statement.
    Thats a 1070 cassette, it clearly isn't a 7900 cassette because the cogs are all the same finish, since the 4 largest cogs should be titanium

'brifter' is a lame word.
    you're still wrong. not many protour teams use the Red cassette, but they do use the PG1070 (Force level) cassette. helps get the underweight bikes up to 6.8kg. a couple of years ago a lot of SRAM teams did use Shimano chains. the cassette in that pic is definitely not Shimano.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    That's the new SRAM RED cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousalex View Post
    No, it isn't. It is a 1070 cassette

Quote Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
    No, it isn't. It is a 1070 cassette
    Your're right, I stand corrected.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousalex View Post
    nope, but you did get the SRAM part right. it's a 1070.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie View Post
    Not true. Levers and derailleurs have to match of course, but beyond that any combination (properly adjusted) will work together just fine.

Were I you, I'd get a KMC chain (quick link, quiet, shifts well), a Shimano ring (to match the others) and whatever cassette was cheapest. I am not a fan of SRAM chains... others seem to shift better, and I've had several broken PC-1s.

Yes, shifter and rear derailleur have to match in this case, sram/sram shimano/shimano, but front derailleur does not.

+100 on KMC chains!
    "Those who like it, like it A LOT!"