Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Modern brake on frame meant for nutted brake caliper?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Spunout 
#1 ·
Picked up a nice Univega Nuovo Sport built up with a 3x9 speed Ultegra drivetrain and 700c wheels. The frame takes 27" wheels, but the long-reach single pivot Tektros that came on it are bad. The rear brake is held in place with a hexagonal nut.

I want to put modern dual-pivots on it, but can't find any that use an exposed nut on the rear. If the rear bolt on the modern brake is long enough, can I just discard the stock recessed "nut" and replace it with an exposed nut?

Or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The bolt won't be long enough to do that, but you can carefully drill out the hole to accept the recessed nut. It doesn't have to be enlarged much.

But you might try just putting on new pads (good ones like Koolstop) and see if you get satisfactory braking performance.

If I understand you correctly, you've got 700c wheels on a frame made for 27", so you'll need a long-reach caliper if you replace. If you do, make sure you measure the required reach before you buy.

#3 ·
JCavilia said:
The bolt won't be long enough to do that, but you can carefully drill out the hole to accept the recessed nut. It doesn't have to be enlarged much.

But you might try just putting on new pads (good ones like Koolstop) and see if you get satisfactory braking performance.

If I understand you correctly, you've got 700c wheels on a frame made for 27", so you'll need a long-reach caliper if you replace. If you do, make sure you measure the required reach before you buy.
If you do this operation gently, with a hand reamer and a little cutting oil, you shouldn't have any problems making the hole big enough for a recessed mounting bolt. But I'd try the brake pad switch first, too.

#4 ·
Some site I was reading about this said just order 2 front brakes, then use the external nut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.