Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Well I have broken a chain on a MBike ride, fixed it with a piece of wire to get back to the car.
    I also have disconnected my chain several times to remove it when it got jammed down below the crank arm & chain ring below the pin. It is way easier to just disconnect remove and reinstall back on the chainring. If this ever happened to you you would want to do the same rather than fight & twist the chain to get it pack out from behind that pin.
    So, if you use a master link, I would always recommend one you can take apart and reinstall on the road. If you use a connex, you don't need a tool to remove or reinstall, period!

For a single chain-link that costs as much as an entire 11s chain...you'd better not.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/w...-11-speed-link

For $30 it had better make coffee and serve doughnuts too
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Sometimes it's worth buying the best!
    When your 50 miles out on your $6K bike, what is another $30?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It only makes sense to install the KMC link the same way. They are functionally identical to the SRAM link. As oriented in that photo the link would be on the bottom run of the chain, not the top.
    The following makes sense:

,,I think the arrow is to make sure you pull the chain tight to lock the powerlink, is there one on both links? "

[source: SRAM XX1 Powerlink is mounted backwards.....- Mtbr.com ]

If the two links are symmetrical it shouldn't matter if the inside or outside arrow points into the forward direction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    CX is correct in that SRAM instructions say put the arrow on outside link facing travel direction. The puzzle is that they appear symmetrical, and if one was to turn the link over, then it would also need to be reversed since the arrows point in opposite directions. So, it's not that the link as a whole is directional. It can be installed 2 ways correctly.

I'm temporarily at a loss on this one.

Most moron proof quick link for Shimano chains-cn_pwr.lck_11s_slvr_skn.pck_4pcs.a15l_00.2518.003.000.jpg
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    There is also now a Shimano 11 speed quick link, the SM-CN900
    Availability is ?
    I have always used KMC links on Shimano chains, never a problem.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-sm-cn900-11-speed-quick-link/rp-prod147138

Most moron proof quick link for Shimano chains-download.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Wouldn't it figure that I just went for a short ride and pulled over to ask a guy who had his bike upside down if I could help.
    He had broken his chain so; "sorry dude, that's the one thing I can't help with (yet)"

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Wouldn't it figure that I just went for a short ride and pulled over to ask a guy who had his bike upside down if I could help.
    He had broken his chain so; "sorry dude, that's the one thing I can't help with (yet)"
    C'mon Jay, you could have done something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Most moron proof quick link for Shimano chains-img_0566.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Is that legal at the TdF? Froome has what, 6 teamates left to ride him up the hill!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    C'mon Jay, you could have done something.
    ha. Now that I think if it I was only about 5 miles from a bike shop and should have offered to go buy the stuff for him and bring it back.

I did drag a guy a few miles with a broken chain once, to a bike shop, by him sitting on his bike and holding my seatpost. That sounded like a good idea when we thought of it but it sucked especially for him when I needed to brake.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    ha. Now that I think if it I was only about 5 miles from a bike shop and should have offered to go buy the stuff for him and bring it back.

I did drag a guy a few miles with a broken chain once, to a bike shop, by him sitting on his bike and holding my seatpost. That sounded like a good idea when we thought of it but it sucked especially for him when I needed to brake.
    Who needs a chain? Just propel the bike kicking your foot back against the ground like a scooter.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    CX is correct in that SRAM instructions say put the arrow on outside link facing travel direction. The puzzle is that they appear symmetrical, and if one was to turn the link over, then it would also need to be reversed since the arrows point in opposite directions. So, it's not that the link as a whole is directional. It can be installed 2 ways correctly.

I'm temporarily at a loss on this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cn_pwr.lck_11s_slvr_skn.pck_4pcs.a15l_00.2518.003.000.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	319776
    The link in the upper photo is what you want to see on the outside, on the lower run of chain. The end of the link w/ the pin needs to 'lead' on the outside. It's all about upshifting from small to big ring. If the end of the link that has the hole leads on the outside it can possibly fail. That's directly from the SRAM road brand manager.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The link in the upper photo is what you want to see on the outside, on the lower run of chain. The end of the link w/ the pin needs to 'lead' on the outside. It's all about upshifting from small to big ring. If the end of the link that has the hole leads on the outside it can possibly fail. That's directly from the SRAM road brand manager.
    I'm going to have to check all my KMC links now. Their instructions do show the link installed that way, but make no mention of it in the text, and I never paid attention to it.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My 10 speed bike came with a KMC link on a Shimano chain. First time I wanted to take it off I couldn't open it for anything, and I though I was going to have to spring for a tool. I asked at the bike shop and they said, "Squeeze the side plates together, moreon." (They didn't originally say the part in italics, but I fixed it for them.) The thing came apart quite easily when I did that.

I have been using KMC or Connex quick links for several years. Both work fine. I have yet to need one in the field but they seem quite easy to work with at home. I replace the link when I replace the chain under the assumption that it wears the same as the other links.

The price of the 10 speed Connex is bad enough, glad I don't need an 11 speed. Search the interweb for discussion of possible counterfeit KMC links.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interestingly enough the Wipperman Connex link is also directional but installed exactly opposite to the SRAM type. The open end faces to the outside and forward in the direction of travel. This is how it installs at the lower chain run.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    As somebody else already mentioned, why not just use a Shimano quick link for a Shimano 11-speed chain? Why bother with trying to make a different brand work when Shimano makes one specifically for their chain? I had called a number of my local shops last week asking about which chains were in stock, and every single shop had the new Shimano quick links.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    I'm going to have to check all my KMC links now. Their instructions do show the link installed that way, but make no mention of it in the text, and I never paid attention to it.
    Something else to fret over!! First I could have a "fake" KMC link, now this!

I've used KMC and SRAM links for YEARS and never paid attention and NEVER broken one!! Odds on, after hundreds of links, I've had pretty near half on wrong!! I'm guessing I'll break one TODAY if I don't head out and inspect 6 bikes worth of links.

Of course, I'm SO old I still subconsciously let up a little when shifting even though modern drive trains shift BETTER under load. I just CAN'T break the habit. Hell, we used to "pre-shift", shifting the downtube lever while pedaling hard and at the precise best moment, let up, and the chain would shift!! In the 5 speed days, they wouldn't shift under load at all!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've just checked 5 bikes with KMC links (the others are Connex), and only one was "correct". Never an issue in many thousands of Km. I must just be lucky.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    A tip of the statistition's hat, for me 6 bikes, 2 "correct." Luck beats skill every time!!

I'm headed out for a ride now, on one of the bikes that's "incorrect", wish me luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Whew, I lucked out - my primary road bike is on the right way!
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12