Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Most moron proof quick link for Shimano chains

12K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  Srode 
#1 ·
I've never broken a chain but have been doing some extremely remote rides so got to thinking I should prepare for that just in case.

I use shimano chains and don't have any problems with the pin, at home where I have a good rugged chain tool, good lighting, and take my time. But I'm thinking on the road where I'd rather carry a smaller chain tool and who knows what circumstances I'd be doing the repair under that a quick link might make more sense (please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

So, what's the most moron proof quick link that would be good to carry for emergency use? Or are they all pretty much the same in this regard?
I use Dura Ace or Ultegra 11 speed chains. Assuming any link that works on one works on the other.

#4 ·
SRAM and KMC are available nearly everywhere
BTW, if you've installed a new chain before, but never 'broke' one, I'd bet that your chain is too long.
I've broken lots in that context of the word and chain length is just fine. I assumed the context of being prepared for it during remote rides would have explained what I mean by broken in this case. I've never had a chain come apart during a ride is what I meant.

Thanks, but although I wouldn't go to the end of the earth for the best one availability isn't what I care about. Do you find one easier and more fool proof than the other?

#5 ·
Thanks. That's what googling indicates too. Except I saw some dudes saying for Shimano chains one should use the Campy connex link not the one for the wipperman's shimano compatible chain. But couldn't find a definitive answer on that and got confused.
Is that true do you know?

#6 ·
Wipperman are the easiest to install, and can be removed by hand too, but not totally moron proof as they have a right way and wrong way.

As with most things, if you follow the instructions you should be OK.

Same comment applies to KMC and SRAM. Nothing difficult, no right or wrong way. No special tools to install. Just assemble with the link at the bottom. Rotate chain slowly to get link at the top. Lock rear wheel and press on pedal, and link will snap together. These require a tool to remove though.

#7 ·
Thanks. Think I'll try a KMC or Sram then. Sounds easy enough and I'll practice on a chain I plan to replace anyways at home just to make sure I'm good with it.
I read that pins are stronger so will stick with those generally and this is just for emergency on the road.

#12 · (Edited)
I guess I was familiar with SRAM 10-speed only. But I've used KMC both 10 and 11 and don't see any arrow. Don't see anything about directionality in instructions either.

Yellow Tool Metal Bicycle part Household hardware

Just checked SRAM 11-speed. Yep there's an arrow.

So, the vote for most idiot proof is KMC.

#16 ·
Right. With a seatbag friendly size chain tool probably as part of a multi-tool. I'll stick with the pin for regular chain installs but I think a quick link would be easier on the road given that I'd rather not carry a full size chain tool. There's also the issue of breaking off the pin but I assume I could manage that without pliers.

Although if I find those small chain tools are fine for pins I could just carry a few pins. I'l play around with a spent chain to find out.

Hopefully this is all moot but with the remoteness of some of the rides I do I want to be prepared for the 1 in a million, so to speak, chance I snap a chain.

#15 ·
any of the 3 mentioned can be installed by hand in a remote location. if one has broken a chain, one might still need a chain tool to remove the bad bits, but after that - no problem.

it looks like only one person here could get the kmc on correctly though. the rest of us are on a 50% chance :D

#17 ·
I've been using Quick links since 8speed. Sram and KMC. I've never broken one. And I reuse them (even though they say not to, shhhhh). I'm no Andre Greipel, but at 165# I'm not really a light weight. They're plenty strong.
Once you use them, you'll never want to use the silly replacement pins.

I carry one in all my bags. There's no reason not to. While I've never had to use them on the road, I've saved a handful of riders with broken chains. One time we had a guy with a broken RD. We broke the chain, made it a single speed, and quick linked the chain back together.

#20 ·
I've been lucky and have never broken a chain on the road.....yet. I once bailed out a rider whose chain broke as I had a mini chain tool on my multi-tool and some extra pins.

I still carry a mini chain tool and extra pins, but also carry both a 10-speed and 11-speed KMC quick link. These are a quicker and easier repair, but I still carry both.

If it were me, I would replace that chain after the ride. Where there is one broken link, there are probably more not far behind.

#24 ·
If it helps, I've been using 10 speed kmc links (real ones imo) for years, taking it apart w/o tools that way, or just wiggling the chain side to side while pushing the link together. "It" because ive been using the same one over and over again even on different chains. It hasnt broken or come apart so it must be pretty moron-proof. You should try it!

#25 ·
Well I have broken a chain on a MBike ride, fixed it with a piece of wire to get back to the car.
I also have disconnected my chain several times to remove it when it got jammed down below the crank arm & chain ring below the pin. It is way easier to just disconnect remove and reinstall back on the chainring. If this ever happened to you you would want to do the same rather than fight & twist the chain to get it pack out from behind that pin.
So, if you use a master link, I would always recommend one you can take apart and reinstall on the road. If you use a connex, you don't need a tool to remove or reinstall, period!

#26 ·
#29 ·
CX is correct in that SRAM instructions say put the arrow on outside link facing travel direction. The puzzle is that they appear symmetrical, and if one was to turn the link over, then it would also need to be reversed since the arrows point in opposite directions. So, it's not that the link as a whole is directional. It can be installed 2 ways correctly.

I'm temporarily at a loss on this one.

Circle Silver Steel Aluminium

#36 ·
CX is correct in that SRAM instructions say put the arrow on outside link facing travel direction. The puzzle is that they appear symmetrical, and if one was to turn the link over, then it would also need to be reversed since the arrows point in opposite directions. So, it's not that the link as a whole is directional. It can be installed 2 ways correctly.

I'm temporarily at a loss on this one.

View attachment 319776
The link in the upper photo is what you want to see on the outside, on the lower run of chain. The end of the link w/ the pin needs to 'lead' on the outside. It's all about upshifting from small to big ring. If the end of the link that has the hole leads on the outside it can possibly fail. That's directly from the SRAM road brand manager.

#38 ·
My 10 speed bike came with a KMC link on a Shimano chain. First time I wanted to take it off I couldn't open it for anything, and I though I was going to have to spring for a tool. I asked at the bike shop and they said, "Squeeze the side plates together, moreon." (They didn't originally say the part in italics, but I fixed it for them.) The thing came apart quite easily when I did that.

I have been using KMC or Connex quick links for several years. Both work fine. I have yet to need one in the field but they seem quite easy to work with at home. I replace the link when I replace the chain under the assumption that it wears the same as the other links.

The price of the 10 speed Connex is bad enough, glad I don't need an 11 speed. Search the interweb for discussion of possible counterfeit KMC links.

#39 ·
Interestingly enough the Wipperman Connex link is also directional but installed exactly opposite to the SRAM type. The open end faces to the outside and forward in the direction of travel. This is how it installs at the lower chain run.

#40 ·
As somebody else already mentioned, why not just use a Shimano quick link for a Shimano 11-speed chain? Why bother with trying to make a different brand work when Shimano makes one specifically for their chain? I had called a number of my local shops last week asking about which chains were in stock, and every single shop had the new Shimano quick links.

#42 ·
I've just checked 5 bikes with KMC links (the others are Connex), and only one was "correct". Never an issue in many thousands of Km. I must just be lucky.:)

#44 ·
Whew, I lucked out - my primary road bike is on the right way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.