RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

Mount Vetta V100 Wireless Speed Sensor on Chainstay?

I have read the reviews and understand the V100 (WL2X model) work for some but can be flakey for others. Lots of the wireless computers seem to have that kind of record. I'm about to find out for myself.

Has anyone had luck mounting the wireless speed sensor on the chainstay and still get good speed readings? Directions say NO. If yes, is there a trick? Thanks.
    Last edited by mthacker; 04-04-2008 at 05:53 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    I tested that configuration for a 56 cm road bike I use on my trainer. It did not work. The transmission range is very close just like Vetta says. I ended up using the extra long wired option.

Your frame might allow for a shorter distance however. Why don't you test it by temporarily attaching the sensor ever so slightly with double backed tape?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Most wireless bike computers have a sensor/transmitter that emits a mono-directional signal. Unless your receiver (bike computer) is in the path of the transmitted signal and is not blocked, like by your body, your bike computer will not receive the signal. Bike computers in the past had an omni-directional transmission, and even though they may have had a slightly different frequency than your buddy riding next to you, there was a good chance for cross reception, and a bike computer that was displaying bad info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Ended up trying to install the speed sensor on the bottom of the chainstay. As noted by others, it was out of range. Cadence seems to work fine however. Not sure if the newer Vetta model with the torpedo sensor would work out better. I'll likely stick with this one... just no speed when on the trainer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had terrible luck with my V100A. The speed sensor completely shorted out after riding through a little rain. No I am going back to a simple wired computer.