jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Moving a 2 year old Shimano BB to a new frame

I thinking about getting a new bike after a collision with a deer on the cheap. My shoulder is still recovering from surgery so I haven't actually had the opportunity to examine the bike in detail (carbon) but got the itch for n+1. New bike is going to be Ti but comes with FSA Gossamer cranks while my current has Ultegra fitted with a Stages power meter. Both are BSA so I was thinking of just doing a swap and call it good. Haven't have any problems with the Shimano BB but it's just under two seasons old (~830 hours). Back in the days of tapper spindles, I would at minimal replace the bearings if everything is still good. Not worrying about costs for new BB but wondering if the new setup (crank/spindle/BB) wears together. Had a 23 year hiatus so I'm noob.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Wearing together should not be an issue. You'll have to change it sometime. For $30, I'd do it now.

https://www.texascyclesport.com/shim...ottom-bracket/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome back
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

What the what???
    Cranks and spindles (assuming no damage) should be fine. For the BB, it might depend on the type of conditions you've been riding in over the past two years. Spin the cranks once the chain is off and see how smooth the current BB is. If it's still like butter, I'd swap it over without a second thought. If there's any grit or binding, now would be a logical time to replace it.

If you've been riding in a lot of rain/sand/muck,etc., I might also swap it out as a preventative measure. As C-40 points out, it's not terribly expensive.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    No recommendations as far as BB advice, however I would be interested in hearing about the deer story, I haven't heard too many of those if you'd share.
    Glad you're healing up.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks. Freak encounter.

On a recovery ride, MUT, just crossing a slight curve when the deer (buck) jumped out. T-boned it just behind the front shoulder. Didn't see it and zero reaction time. Was actually paying attention to trail since I just passed another rider. Was going about 18mph. Impact send me somersault over it. Rolled to my right to clear the horns and then the bike pull me to the left. Got slightly distracted mid air trying to unclip my left foot, the right was already unclipped. Didn't finish prepping for my fall and came down just above the back upper triceps. That was enough for a Grade 5 AC seperation. Went into surgery a week later, two days before thanksgiving. Lucky the impact caused the deer to slide out and I was able to clear the horns. Had a few judo leasons when young but left has alway been my dumb side.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkc View Post
    Thanks. Freak encounter.

On a recovery ride, MUT, just crossing a slight curve when the deer (buck) jumped out. T-boned it just behind the front shoulder. Didn't see it and zero reaction time. Was actually paying attention to trail since I just passed another rider. Was going about 18mph. Impact send me somersault over it. Rolled to my right to clear the horns and then the bike pull me to the left. Got slightly distracted mid air trying to unclip my left foot, the right was already unclipped. Didn't finish prepping for my fall and came down just above the back upper triceps. That was enough for a Grade 5 AC seperation. Went into surgery a week later, two days before thanksgiving. Lucky the impact caused the deer to slide out and I was able to clear the horns. Had a few judo leasons when young but left has alway been my dumb side.
    Damn, sounds like one of those impacts that happens too fast to do anything about but your mind is able to slow waaaaay down to analyze.
    And on a MUT no less, scary.
    Good luck on your N+1.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Changing bikes has nothing to do with anything here. Either your BB is worn out or it isn't.
    Just feel the bearings turn to find out. It's almost certainly not worn out. I have 40,000 miles on the same one and it's smooth as silk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Changing bikes has nothing to do with anything here. Either your BB is worn out or it isn't.
    Just feel the bearings turn to find out. It's almost certainly not worn out. I have 40,000 miles on the same one and it's smooth as silk.
    Well said...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    That depends. I had one on a hybrid bike go south in 4,000 miles.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger