RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

Name this part for me

Hey guys, I have an SL4 sworks tarmac, the seat post has an interesting semi circle carbon piece that the seat rails sit on... Well mine broke due to bike shop over tightening it (after they took off my old seat that was bent in a crash and then put the same one back on again! Took it out to the car, realised, went back in to Q them and they denied then swapped it)...anyway, two stories in one.

Please help, what's it called and where can I buy one?

gazing from the shadows
    The generic term for the thing the saddle clamps into is, not surprisingly, a "seatpost saddle clamp".

I assume anyone who deals the brand of seatpost you have can get replacement parts.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Yeah this type is more of a wedge than a clamp.

It's the same as this one

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302626192553

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Calam View Post
    Hey guys, I have an SL4 sworks tarmac, the seat post has an interesting semi circle carbon piece that the seat rails sit on... Well mine broke due to bike shop over tightening it (after they took off my old seat that was bent in a crash and then put the same one back on again! Took it out to the car, realised, went back in to Q them and they denied then swapped it)...anyway, two stories in one.

Please help, what's it called and where can I buy one?
    Clearly, this is the shop's fault. If we have seen it once, we have seen it a millions times. The shop removed the crashed and bent saddle, reinstalled the bent saddle, torqued it too much, and broke the piece. They should just buy you a new bike.

Obviously, there is no possibility whatsoever that the piece broke in the crash that bent the saddle.

My real recommendation is to buy a new post. You crashed the old one enough to bend the saddle and break at least one part of the post. Not worth riding the post with the possibility of failure from some other unseen damage.

Bigger issue with the shop is that if you took the bike to them to inspect after the crash and they did not notice the broken seatpost. What else didn't they notice?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Ok I can see what you're thinking, but it definitely was the old saddle. It had the scuffs on the rear of the seat that they mustnt have noticed when they straightened out the rails and then put it back on.

I had bought the saddle from them two days prior to the car crash so they must have thought they could sneak some quick bucks. They were adament it was the new one and then played coy when I pointed out the old damage...."ohhhhh, I must have taken it off and then put the same one back on....where did I put that new one again??" And theb went to the shelf to get a new one"

I was not happy with their service.

They charged me to true the wheels, but the wheels still buckled the same as when I dropped it off, they charged me 180 for new saddle and reinstalled my old one. They tried to convince it was the new one when I questioned them about it and charged 150 for a safety inspection.

Not gonna name names, but I won't be back there.
    Last edited by Calam; 02-08-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Yeah, that shop hosed you. I'd actually name them, if I were you....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I'll have to find another specialized shop to order it from then. I'm also worried that the basic piece will be super expensive, because s-works